85 Ellesmere Junction Road And 1467 Springs Road, Lincoln University, Lincoln
List Entry Information
List Entry Status
List Entry Type
Historic Place Category 1
Private/No Public Access
1st September 1983
Pt Lot 4 DP 6070 (CT 299902), Canterbury Land District
North of Farm Road and east of Calder Drive
This historic place was registered under the Historic Places Act 1980. The following text is the original citation considered by the NZHPT Board at the time of registration.
Completed in 1878-80, the original building at Lincoln College, known as Ivey Hall, was designed by Frederick Strouts and served as accommodation for twenty students and the Director of the School of Agriculture.
It is the oldest part of a complex designed by three architects between 1878 and 1923. Strouts designed the west wing extension in 1881. In 1918 John Guthrie designed the east wing which features an Italian Style loggia, while Cecil Wood, a pupil of Strouts, designed the Memorial Hall in 1923.
Ivey Hall is one of the earliest large Canterbury buildings to be erected in permanent materials. It is Jacobean in style with features characteristic of Flemish design.
It is notable for the contrast established between the pale red bricks thought to have been brought out to New Zealand as ballast for ships, and cream Oamaru stone used for window and gable dressings. The contrasts between materials and the variety of motifs used gives the building a very picturesque appearance. This quality is further enhanced by the expanses of lawn and trees which surround the campus.
In 1954 the building was named after W.E. Ivey, the Director of the College from 1878 until 1892.
The College has international importance and plays a central role in the agricultural development of Canterbury through its function as an institution for agricultural teaching, extension work and research. It is the third oldest agricultural college in the British Commonwealth and the first in the Southern Hemisphere to offer a course leading to a degree in agriculture.
Ivey Hall has very great architectural significance as the earliest remaining large-scale Jacobean building in New Zealand.
It is thought that Frederick Strouts (1834-1919) was born at Hothfield, Kent, England in 1834. He trained as an architect with John Whichcord and Son in Maidstone and then under the partnership of Arthur Ashpitel and John Whichcord junior. He arrived in New Zealand in 1859 and set up business in Christchurch with his future brother-in-law as 'General Importers & Ironmongers, Architects, Surveyors & Land Agents'.
Strouts and his family returned to England, in 1868, where Strouts was elected an associate of the Royal Institute of British Architects.
Upon his return to New Zealand Strouts resumed his architectural practice. He became noted for his houses, which he designed for the elite of Canterbury, including a number for Robert Heaton Rhodes. In 1871 he was appointed supervising architect for the Church of St Michael and All Angels.Two years later he acquired the commission for the Canterbury Club, after W.B. Armson fell ill. Other commissions included the former Lyttelton Harbour Board building (1880) and the Rhodes Convalescent Home in Cashmere (1885--87). He is described as being a versatile and prolific architect, and one who helped to raise the professional status of architecture in Canterbury. One of his most notable Canterbury buildings was Ivey Hall, now refurbished as part of Lincoln University.
Strouts seems to have retired from practice in 1905. He died in Christchurch on 18 December 1919.
(Jonathan Mane-Wheoki, 'Strouts, Frederick 1834-1919' in Dictionary of New Zealand Biography, Vol 2, 1870-1900, Wellington 1993)
Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.