Church of the Passion (Catholic)
138A Carters Road (State Highway 1), Amberley
List Entry Information
List Entry Status
List Entry Type
Historic Place Category 1
Private/No Public Access
5th September 1985
Extent of List Entry
Extent of registration includes the land described Lot 1 DP 16119 (CT CB45A/1144), Canterbury Land District, and the building known as Church of the Passion (Catholic) thereon. The building to the rear of the church is not included in the registration.
Lot 1 DP 16119 (CT CB45A/1144), Canterbury Land District
This historic place was registered under the Historic Places Act 1980. The following text is the original citation considered by the NZHPT Board at the time of registration.
Built originally at nearby Brackenridge the Church of the Most Holy Passion was moved to Amberley in 1954-55. Its construction in 1866 was largely due to Frederick Weld who owned the Brakenfield Estate and intended it to be used as a family chapel. He was a notable early colonist and Premier in 1864-65. The proposed township of Brakenridge was circumvented when the railway line bypassed it, and did not eventuate.
The building was planned simply and economically in timber emphasising its Gothic form in the well crafted construction. A further bay was added to the nave after the shift and the square tower repositioned, but the original character is retained. Behind the altar are three superb stained glass windows provided by Weld.
Historically important for its association with Weld this church has undoubted architectural merit and presents fine streetscape.
1954 - 1955
Relocated to Amberley.
Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.