Glenmark Station Stables
478 Glenmark Drive, Glenmark Station, Waipara
List Entry Information
List Entry Status
List Entry Type
Historic Place Category 1
Private/No Public Access
27th June 1985
Extent of List Entry
Extent of registration includes part of the land described as Lot 1 DP 4249 (CT CB408/156, NZ Gazette 2009 p. 3903), Canterbury Land District, and the building known as Glenmark Station Stables thereon.
Lot 1 DP 4249 (CT CB408/156, NZ Gazette 2009 p. 3903), Canterbury Land District
Glemark Settlement off Kings Road, Glenmark Drive, Waipara.
This historic place was registered under the Historic Places Act 1980. The following text is the original citation considered by the NZHPT Board at the time of registration.
These large and impressive stables built in 1881 by G H Moore, the renowned runholder. Glenmark station was one of the country's largest stations and Moore one of the country's wealthiest men.
Built of concrete the stables could hold up to 50 horses and were of a dimension in keeping with Glenmark's grandeur. Designed by S C Farr who was responsible for most of Glenmark's buildings, the stables have by now lost most of their ornamental and functional embellishments such as the bell tower, courtyard and pigeon cotes, but remain an impressive sight.
The stables included a granary, smithy, coach houses and full length fodder lofts. At some stage part has been adapted for shearing.
It is today a fine legacy of the huge runs and a worthy monument to the enterprise of the runholder. As an early use of concrete Glenmark Stables has considerable technological importance.
Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.