St Cuthbert's Church (Anglican)
8 Governors Bay Teddington Road, Governors Bay
List Entry Information
List Entry Status
List Entry Type
Historic Place Category 1
Private/No Public Access
27th June 1985
Extent of List Entry
Extent includes the land described as Res 66 (CT CB408/249), Canterbury Land District and the building known as St Cuthbert’s Church (Anglican) thereon.
Res 66 (CT CB408/249), Canterbury Land District
This historic place was registered under the Historic Places Act 1980. The following text is the original citation considered by the NZHPT Board at the time of registration.
St Cuthbert's Church (Anglican) Governor's Bay, Banks Peninsula
St Cuthbert's Church, built in 1860, was designed by George Mallinson, architect for the Church of the Most Holy Trinity began in Lyttelton a year earlier. There are similarities in the planning of these two churches and also in the stonework which was carried out by Edward Morey, a craftsman of considerable skill.
St Cuthbert's is distinguished by its dominant steeply pitched roof and low cob walls faced with rubble stone. Solidity is emphasised by the heavy buttresses between the small, cusped, lancet windows. Beside the western end is a projecting porch of similar proportions. It is faced with water worn black stones gathered from the beach by local women who carried them in their sacking aprons.
The chancel, added in 1874, has a fine stained glass memorial window depicting the legend of St Cuthbert. The high opened timbered ceiling is carried by 'scissor' trusses which contribute to the rhythmic division of the interior.
St Cuthbert's is an important link with Canterbury's early settlement and has considerable architectural significance in the quality of its design and its unusual construction. With its graveyard and mature trees this quiet country church has an atmosphere of timeless charm.
Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.