Glenmore

6 Peartree Lane, Hillsborough, Christchurch

  • Glenmore.
    Copyright: NZ Historic Places Trust.
  • Original image submitted at time of registration.
    Copyright: NZHPT Field Record Form Collection. Taken By: V E Meek. Date: 3/07/1992.

List Entry Information

List Entry Status Listed List Entry Type Historic Place Category 2 Public Access Private/No Public Access
List Number 3109 Date Entered 14th April 2005

Locationopen/close

Extent of List Entry

Registration includes the house, its fittings and fixtures, and the land on CB42D/484.

City/District Council

Christchurch City

Region

Canterbury Region

Legal description

Lot 11 DP 74110 (CT CB42D/484), Canterbury Land District

Summaryopen/close

Forty hectares of land at what was to become Hillsborough was purchased and stocked in 1851 by 'Honest' John Cordy (1805-1886) for Henry Selfe Selfe (1810-70), the Canterbury Association agent in London. Before 1857 Cordy built a single-storey six-room house on the property for £100. Selfe never lived there; he visited New Zealand only once - in company with Lord Lyttelton in 1868. Between 1851 and 1854 Cordy possessed a small run near the Bridle Path; later he managed Homebush for the Deans family before taking up Hororata Station.

In 1863 the Selfe property was sold to Major Henry A. Scott, who named it Glenmore. Scott, who held a commission in the 12th Lancers, arrived in Canterbury with his family in 1854. The founder of the Canterbury Volunteers in 1860, Scott was also a sheep farmer, a member of the Provincial Council, a church property trustee for Lower Heathcote, and a member of the United Cricket Club.

Scott sold to John Barton Arundel Acland in 1865, and returned to England. A prominent runholder, Acland had established Mt Peel station in South Canterbury in 1856. As a public - spirited man however, he had many interests that brought him frequently to Christchurch. Glenmore thus became Acland's town residence. Acland retained Glenmore for 14 years, during which time he apparently added the two-storey section to Selfe's original house.

In 1880 Acland sold Glenmore to John Chapman, who passed it the following year to Robert Allen. Allen had been a Scargill farmer, and owned a sawmill at Little River. Allen stayed until 1893, when he sold the property to his brother-in-law James Haswell Wood. Australian born, Wood arrived in New Zealand with his parents in 1863. Although a saddler by trade, he was manager at Allen's sawmill for a time, and later managed a tannery at Woolston. For much of the 12 years that Wood owned Glenmore, his wife Susan ran a private nursing home in the building. There is some speculation that it was Wood rather than Acland who built the two-storey portion of Glenmore.

The house was sold to the Glenmore Brick and Tile Manufacturing Company in 1905, to serve as a manager's residence. For much of the following thirty years, that position was filled by Thomas W. Woodroffe, apparently an able golfer and boxer. The brick veranda floor, terrace and balustrading are a legacy of this era.

In 1942 the brickworks went into liquidation, and Glenmore was sold with 1.2 hectares to advertising consultant Russell Thurlow Thompson. The house had become rundown during the later years of the brickwork's tenure, and apparently required much work to make it habitable again. Thompson was well-known for his work on behalf of Corso, and published an account of New Zealand's part in this organisation in 1965. In 1956 the house passed to his son, Richard H. T. Thompson, a reader in Sociology and Psychology at the University of Canterbury. Richard on-sold to family members David and Rachael Sturrock in 1992. The Sturrocks carried out alterations in 1993, extending the first floor over the 1850s portion to add three bedrooms to the existing five, and creating a new kitchen-living area.

The family passed Glenmore to developer Bill Horncastle in 1996. Horncastle applied for consent to subdivide the property into 17 sections, and notified the house for demolition. A public outcry ensued, with over 500 objections received by the Christchurch City Council. The house and half an acre were subsequently sold to saviours Lolly and John Fairweather, who carried out further renovation and restoration. The Fairweathers' operated Glenmore as home-stay accommodation until 2003, when it was sold to Penelope Wenlock and William Packard.

Assessment criteriaopen/close

Historical Significance or Value

Glenmore, begun early in the 1850s, has historical significance for its association with Henry Selfe Selfe, the Canterbury Association's agent in London who owned the property though he never lived there. From 1865 to 1880 it was the town house of the prominent Acland family, pioneering settlers at Mt Peel in South Canterbury where descendants still live in the Category 1 registered homestead. As the Glenmore Brickworks manager's home the house is an important reminder of the once extensive brick-making industry along the Port Hills.

(e) the community has esteem for the property as evidenced by the public outcry when the house was threatened by subdivision;

(g) it is a good example of a large townhouse built by the wealthy landed elite;

(h) it serves to commemorate the once extensive brick-making industry along the Port Hills;

(i) the 1850s date of the earliest part of the house makes it one of the oldest, continuously occupied residences in Christchurch.

Linksopen/close

Additional informationopen/close

Physical Description

Glenmore is a two-storey weatherboard colonial villa with a low-pitched hipped roof and box bay windows. It is rectangular in form, facing north, with double height verandahs across the frontage and the eastern side. French doors open to both levels of the verandahs, which are decorated with turned timber balusters and fretwork. The lower level of the verandah has a brick floor, and a balustraded terrace extending out from the northern elevation. Despite recent renovations, the colonial character of the house has been retained.

Construction Dates

Original Construction
1857 -
Construction of single storey section.

Modification
-
Addition of two-storey section.

Modification
-
Addition of brick floor and balustrades to verandah.

Modification
1993 -
Renovations, including extension of first floor over single storey section.

Modification
1996 - 1999
Further internal renovations.

Construction Details

Weatherboard with a corrugated iron roof . The floor of the ground floor verandah and the balustrades are brick.

Information Sources

Acland, 1975

L.G.D. Acland, The Early Canterbury Runs, 4th ed., Christchurch, 1975

Christchurch City Council

Christchurch City Council

Heritage Unit File

Christchurch Press

10/11/1998, 13/3/1996

Hendry, 1968

J.A. Hendry (text) and A.J. Mair (drawings), Homes of the Pioneers, Christchurch, 1968.

MacDonald Biographies

G.R. MacDonald, Dictionary of Canterbury Biographies, Canterbury Museum, n.d.

James Wood

McIntyre, 1980

W McIntyre, The Journal of Henry Sewell 1853-7 Christchurch: Whitcoulls, 1980

New Zealand Historic Places

New Zealand Historic Places

May, J. 'Once Threatened, Now Safe', 74 (September 1999) pp. 19-20. NZHPT Field Record Form.

Observer

Observer

26/2/1996

Ogilvie, 1990

G. Ogilvie, Banks Peninsula; the Cradle of Canterbury, GP Books, 1990

pp. 112-115.

Other Information

A fully referenced version of this report is available from the NZHPT Southern Region Office.

Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.