Nottingham Castle Hotel

41-43 Studholme Street, Morrinsville

  • Nottingham Castle Hotel.
    Copyright: Matthews & Matthews Architects.
  • Nottingham Castle Hotel. Image courtesy of www.flickr.com.
    Copyright: Allan Laurence . Taken By: Allan Laurence - Grey Albatross. Date: 13/06/2014.

List Entry Information

List Entry Status Listed List Entry Type Historic Place Category 1 Public Access Able to Visit
List Number 3305 Date Entered 28th June 1990

Locationopen/close

Extent of List Entry

Extent includes the land described as Lot 14 DP 180 (CT SA13B/939), South Auckland Land District and part of the land described as Lot 15 DP 180 (CT SA13B/939), South Auckland Land District, and the building known as Nottingham Castle Hotel thereon.

City/District Council

Matamata-Piako District

Region

Waikato Region

Legal description

Lots 14-15 DP 180 (CT SA13B/939), South Auckland Land District

Summaryopen/close

DESCRIPTION:

The first Nottingham Castle Hotel was built in 1877 on the site of the present hotel of the same name. It provided for the needs of the travelling public, having stabling for 16-20 horses and a large secure coach house, and for the surrounding rural community. In 1913 this building was burnt down and replaced by the present building which has continued to serve the same general purposes.

Assessment criteriaopen/close

Historical Significance or Value

The existing building has no particular historical significance, apart from its association with the earlier hotel of the same name which it replaced.

ARCHITECTURAL QUALITY:

The Nottingham Castle is an especially elegant and finely proportioned Edwardian hotel. Many of its architectural elements, such as the belvedere and verandahs, are typical of hotel buildings, but have been designed with considerable sensitivity and restraint as is shown by the treatment of the verandah posts and brackets. The simple hood moulds over many of the windows under the verandahs, while having little practical purpose, are further evidence of this restrained but effective approach to architectural ornamentation. Notable Edwardian detail also remains in the interior of the building. For a hotel built during the temperance era it is capacious in size and quality. Few Edwardian hotels of this architectural standard remain in New Zealand and it is a very important architectural adornment to Morrinsville.

TOWNSCAPE/LANDMARK VALUE:

The Nottingham Castle Hotel is an important landmark in the main street of Morrinsville.

Linksopen/close

Construction Professionalsopen/close

Price, Thomas George (1865-1942)

Thomas George Price (1865-1942) was born in Woolwich, England. He arrived in New Zealand from Birmingham around 1912. Then in his late forties, Price commenced practice as an architect on his own account in Auckland. Although his practice continued into the late 1930s, little is known of his work or his architectural training. He designed the Nottingham Castle, Morrinsville (1914), was an architectural advisor to the Auckland Education Board in 1918 and designed eight flats in Mount Street, Auckland in 1931.

Additional informationopen/close

Physical Description

ARCHITECTURAL DESCRIPTION:

The Nottingham Castle Hotel is a two-storeyed brick stucco building with verandahs at each level on both main elevations. It has a simple parapet and a corner belvedere. The verandahs give depth to what is otherwise a plain facade. The simple balconies are supported on regularly-spaced unornamented wooden posts and brackets. The first floor balusters are positioned close together and capped by a handrail. The corner is surmounted by a belvedere set back from the parapet line. A raised parapet with flanking lettering identifies the main entrance, the door having a circular window set in it with leadlights above.

Surface detailing is simple. Windows on the ground floor are bounded by a panel of green vitreous tiles, windows on the first floor, and most windows on the ground floor have hood moulds. Arched windows without hood moulds have replaced the corner entrance to the public bar.

Inside, the entrance vestibule and hall retain the original features. A sixteen foot stud supports wide architraves and pressed metal ceilings and dado panelling. Shields are carved into the stair balustrades. The small lounge bar also retains its character with its plaster mouldings, panelled walls and bar supported by wooden columns. Beamed ceilings and plaster mouldings are all that remain of the formerly expansive dining room. In many parts of the hotel minutiae such as door handles, art nouveau plaster architraves and friezes, varnished picture rails and original doors to first floor rooms, are reminders of the past grandeur of the interior of the building.

MODIFICATIONS:

Date Unknown: Bottle Store added

Public bars extended

Shop incorporated in ground floor

Post mix room added, cellar strengthened

Corner entrance to public bar closed

Kitchen renovated

Reception office extended into hall

c.1970: Arched windows replace original corner entrance

c.1979 Large lounge bar addition, Studholme Street

Renovations carried out approximately every ten years. These have included recarpeting, painting, relining with plaster board, lowering ceilings.

Notable Features

The double storeyed Edwardian verandah.

The corner belvedere.

Construction Dates

Original Construction
1914 -

Modification
-
Date Unknown: Various modifications; see list in Physical Description

Modification
1970 -
Arched windows replace original corner entrance

Addition
1979 -
Large lounge bar addition, Studholme Street

Construction Details

Brick and concrete foundations; walls of brick and plaster with some tile inlay on ground floor; timber balconies; hip roof with longrun steel.

Information Sources

Auckland Public Libraries

Auckland Public Libraries

Death Notice, T.G. Price, in Death Clippings Scrapbook 1941-42 Auckland Scapbook

Auckland University

Auckland University

Sheppard Collection, p.37, Price, T.G., Auckland University School of Architecture Library

Wises Post Office Directories

Wises Post Office Directories

1913-1939

Waikato Museum of Art & History

Waikato Museum of Art & History

Photograph: Neg. DR0198A (post mark 2.6.22)

Waikato Times

'Description of Hotel Nearing Completion', p.2(3), 28 April 1979

Licence Application, hotel designer Mr Vialon, p.2(4) Waikato Times, 14 June 1877

Hearing at Licensing Court, p2(5,6,7) Waikato Times, 16 June 1877

Baglin, 1984

D Baglin & A Austin. N.Z. Pub Crawl, Auckland, 1984

Allen, 1959

Sir Stephen Allen, Early Morrinsville, Hamilton 1959

Bollinger, 1957

C Bollinger. Grog's Own Country, Auckland, 1957

Day, 1986

P & G Day. A Picture Book of Old Waikato, Auckland, 1986

Freeland, 1966

J M Freeland, The Australian Pub, Melbourne, 1966

Harris, 1937

C T Harris. Diamond Jubilee of the Piako County 1877-1937, Settlement of the Upper Te Aroha, 1937

Births Deaths and Marriages

Registrar of Births Deaths and Marriages

Death Certificate, T.G. Price, Vol. 93 No. 902, Registrar of Births Deaths and Marriages, Auckland

Other Information

This historic place was registered under the Historic Places Act 1980. This report includes the text from the original Building Classification Committee report considered by the NZHPT Board at the time of registration.

Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.