Ohoka Station Stables and Dovecot

21 Jacksons Road, Ohoka

  • Ohoka Station Stables & Dovecot. 1989. Original image submitted at time of registration.
    Copyright: NZHPT Field Record Form Collection. Taken By: Robyn Burgess.

List Entry Information

List Entry Status Listed List Entry Type Historic Place Category 2 Public Access Private/No Public Access
List Number 3347 Date Entered 28th October 1993

Locationopen/close

Extent of List Entry

Extent includes part of the land described as Lot 1 DP81869 (CT CB47B/270), Canterbury Land District and the building known as Ohoka Station Stables and Dovecot thereon. Refer to the extent map tabled at the Heritage New Zealand Board meeting on 23 October 2014.

City/District Council

Waimakariri District

Region

Canterbury Region

Legal description

Lot 1 DP 81869 (CT CB47B/270), Canterbury Land District

Location description

Note the owners give their address as 25 Jacksons Road, as does the National Gardens Register, but Landonline identifies the property as 21 Jacksons Road.

Summaryopen/close

The following text is from the original registration report considered by the NZHPT Board at the time of registration.

Joseph Senior White (1834-1905), Merchant, came to Canterbury from Australia about 1856. He established a prosperous business in North Canterbury, owning a chain of stores known as the Beehive Emporiums. In the early 1860's he started to buy the farm which he called Ohoka. He is believed to have been farming the land before he was given the Crown Grant in 1867-68. There he planted 100,000 imported trees, some of which still survive and made a kiln of fire bricks for his grand homestead. Ohoka Homestead was built about 1872 and it would appear that the stables and dovecote were built at the same time.

In 1880 White gifted 3/4 acre of land to the Kaiapoi Borough to be held as public reserve. This forms the north part of Darnley Square. Since White's death in 1905 Ohoka has had eight owners.

Because horses were in general use on New Zealand farms until well into the twentieth century, stable buildings have been maintained in many parts of the country. Dovecotes, while found on a number of stable buildings such as Mayfield (c.1860s) and Galloway Station Stables, Central Otago (c.1860) do not seem to have been particularly common.

Linksopen/close

Additional informationopen/close

Physical Description

The following text is from the original registration report considered by the NZHPT Board at the time of registration.

Style:

Victorian stables with pitched roofs, central gable and bell-cast dovecote with gablets.

Architect/Builders:

Not known

Ohoka Station was established by a prosperous merchant, Joseph Senior White in 1867. The builder and exact construction date of the stables are not known but were probably built c.1872 at around the same time as the Homestead (registered Category I). The stables, timber framed and clad with weatherboards and corrugated iron are a representative example of vernacular form building. Decorative elements include the dovecote which were not particularly common.

Construction Dates

Original Construction
1872 -

Construction Details

Brick-paved flooring; timber clad with corrugated iron and ship lap weatherboards. Shingled roof covered with corrugated iron.

Other Information

A copy of the original report is available from the NZHPT Southern Region office

Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.