231 Stuart Street, Dunedin
List Entry Information
List Entry Status
List Entry Type
Historic Place Category 1
22nd August 1991
Pt Sec 16 Blk 14 Town of Dunedin
As a church this building was a significant aspect of the development of Methodism in Dunedin.
It was erected in 1869 to replace an earlier Methodist Church which had proved to be architecturally unviable. The building was sold in 1977 to the Fortune Theatre Trust, and is currently used as a playhouse theatre.
Historical Significance or Value
This building, as Trinity Church, represents part of the development of the Methodist Church in Dunedin. Its significant change from a place of worship to a playhouse in 1977 was an example of an innovative and successful reuse of a redundant ecclesiastical building.
Designed and built by one of Dunedin's leading architects in the late nineteenth century, and using an architectural style and construction which is a feature of Dunedin city, the former Holy Trinity Church was a very fine smaller scale church. On the Fortune Theatre it maintains its architectural integrity and streetscape quality.
The Fortune Theatre occupies a prominent inner city corner, and forms part of an architecturally attractive streetscape.
Lawson, Robert Arthur
Born in Scotland, Lawson (1833-1902) began his professional career in Perth. At the age of 25 he moved to Melbourne and was engaged in goldmining and journalism before resuming architectural practice. In 1862 Lawson sailed for Dunedin, where his sketch plans had won the competition for the design of First Church. This was built 1867-73. Lawson went on to become one of the most important architects in New Zealand. First Church is regarded as his masterpiece and one of the finest nineteenth century churches in New Zealand.
He was also responsible for the design of the Trinity Church (now Fortune Theatre), Dunedin (1869-70), the East Taieri Presbyterian Church (1870), and Knox Church, Dunedin (1874). He designed Park's School (1864) and the ANZ Bank (originally Union Bank, 1874). In Oamaru he designed the Bank of Otago (later National Bank building, 1870) and the adjoining Bank of New South Wales (now Forrester Gallery, 1881).
See also: Ledgerwood, Norman, 2013. 'R.A. Lawson: Victorian Architect of Dunedin'. Historic Cemeteries Conservation NZ.
No biography is currently available for this construction professional
Stonework; bar tracery of windows.
Local bluestone with Oamaru stone facings and decoration, slate roof.
Cyclopedia of New Zealand, 1905
Cyclopedia Company, Industrial, descriptive, historical, biographical facts, figures, illustrations, Wellington, N.Z, 1897-1908, Vol. 4 Otago and Southland, Cyclopedia Company, Christchurch, 1905
Hardwicke Knight and Niel Wales, Buildings of Dunedin: An Illustrated Architectural Guide to New Zealand's Victorian City, John McIndoe, Dunedin, 1988
D S Mullan. The Trinity Fortune Affair, Trinity Methodist Trust, Dunedin, 1981,
This historic place was registered under the Historic Places Act 1980. This report includes the text from the original Building Classification Committee report considered by the NZHPT Board at the time of registration.
Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.