New Zealand Shipping Company Stables (Former)
98 Waima Road, Waima, Tokomaru Bay
List Entry Information
List Entry Status
List Entry Type
Historic Place Category 2
Private/No Public Access
5th April 1984
Extent of List Entry
Extent includes part of the land described as Pt Lot 1 DP 1815 (CT GS5C/1236), Gisborne Land District and the building known as New Zealand Shipping Company Stables (Former) thereon.
Pt Lot 1 DP 1815 (CT GS5C/1236), Gisborne Land District
Located on the eastern side of the factory, near the New Zealand Shipping Company Manager's House (Former), 102 Waima Road.
The New Zealand Shipping Company Stables (Former) in Waima are thought to have been erected in 1912 alongside the New Zealand Shipping Company Offices and Wool Store (Former) (Register No. 3480) and the New Zealand Shipping Company Manager’s House (Former) (Register No. 3479) as part of an integrated transport system for commercial purposes. The New Zealand Shipping Company Stables (Former) are historically important as a physical reminder of the reliance of local business on horse transport, and the value placed on housing and maintaining the horses by the provision of this purpose-built stable. They have historic and social significance as part of an interrelated group of structures which testify to the large-scale export industry that provided employment in Tokomaru Bay; one of the largest such industries on the East Coast.
Waima is a small bay situated in the north-eastern curve of Tokomaru Bay. The district was once called Toka-a-Namu, (abundance of sandflies - namu). The principal hapu is Ngati Porou and the first people who settled in the district were tribal groups thought to be descended from ancestor Toi te Huatahi. Henare Potae (?-1895) was a prominent leader in the area. He encouraged settlement at Tokomaru Bay by granting long-term leases to graze blocks of land as sheep runs. Farming was to become the primary enterprise within the Tairawhiti region, and there was an almost total reliance on shipping and horses for transport due to poor road networks. Waima was transformed in early 1911 with the erection of the Tokomaru Bay Freezing Works. At the same time the existing wharf was extended and improved and the Tokomaru Harbour Board was established. By 1912 the New Zealand Shipping Company Offices and Wool Store had also been erected at the Waima end of Tokomaru Bay.
The New Zealand Shipping Company Stables (Former) were constructed at a similar time to the wool store and were built with the same type of bricks. Bull Bros., a Napier company, won the contract to erect a large ‘wool-shed’ for the New Zealand Shipping Company and it is believed that Bull Bros. also constructed the stables. Both the freezing works and the wool store utilised the wharf in order to ship their produce overseas, with horses being an integral part of getting much of that cargo to the wharf. The Freezing Works were built on two levels on the hillside. On the lower level, a small rail ferried cargo, however the upper levels relied on horse transport to move cargo around. The poor quality of East Coast roads and uneven terrain meant that horse transport was still being used extensively throughout the East Coast region long after other areas were utilising motor transport.
In 1927 the Tokomaru Harbour Board purchased all the New Zealand Shipping Company property at Waima, including the New Zealand Shipping Company Stables (Former). In 1963 the Harbour Board was dissolved and its powers were transferred to the Waiapu County Council (amalgamated into the Gisborne District Council in 1989). The New Zealand Shipping Company Stables (Former) are on the same title as the New Zealand Shipping Company Offices and Wool Store (Former) and were sold in 1992. The stables are currently used as a storage area by the inhabitants of the New Zealand Shipping Company Manager’s House (Former) (Register No. 3479).
Bull Brothers (H.J. and E.J. Bull)
H.J. and E.J. Bull were ‘Builders, Contractors, Timber Merchants’, and proprietors of the Napier Brickyard. The brothers were apprentice builders to Mr John McColl, of Newmarket. They relocated to Hawke's Bay in 1887 and two years later they established Bull Bros. Later the firm took over the Napier Brickyard and employed about 100 people. Bull Brothers constructed many large projects in Napier including the government offices and large wool stores at Port Ahuriri, both of which were destroyed in the Napier earthquake. Remaining known examples of their work are the Hastings Municipal Theatre (Record no. 1096) and Scinde Building, Napier (Record no. 4814).
Source: Information Upgrade Report for New Zealand Shipping Company Offices and Wool Store (Former), Linda Pattison, NZHPT, 13 Jun 2013
13th June 2013
Report Written By
Cyclopedia of New Zealand, 1908
Cyclopedia Company, Industrial, descriptive, historical, biographical facts, figures, illustrations, Wellington, N.Z, 1897-1908, Vol. 6, Taranaki, Hawke's Bay, Wellington, 1908
Mason, Helen, Waima of Tokomaru Bay, Tauira Crafts 1984
A fully referenced Upgrade Report is available from the Lower Northern Area office of NZHPT.
Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.