Central Police Station (Former)

31-35 Waring Taylor Street And 32-40 Johnston Street, Wellington

  • Central Police Station (Former). Image courtesy of www.flickr.com.
    Copyright: Minicooperd – Paul Le Roy. Taken By: Minicooperd – Paul Le Roy. Date: 4/10/2014.
  • Central Police Station (Former).
    Copyright: Heritage New Zealand. Taken By: C Horwell. Date: 18/01/2011.
  • Central Police Station (Former). Image included in Field Record Form Collection.
    Copyright: Heritage New Zealand . Taken By: C Cochran. Date: 6/04/1984.

List Entry Information

List Entry Status Listed List Entry Type Historic Place Category 2 Public Access Private/No Public Access
List Number 3617 Date Entered 28th June 1984

Locationopen/close

Extent of List Entry

Extent of registration includes the land described as Lot 2 DP 83076 (WN49C/913), Wellington Land District and the two buildings known as Central Police Station (Former) thereon, located at 31-35 Waring Taylor Street and 32-40 Johnston Street, WELLINGTON. The registration excludes the modern commercial building located between these two buildings

City/District Council

Wellington City

Region

Wellington Region

Legal description

Lot 2 DP 83076 (WN49C/913), Wellington Land District

Linksopen/close

Construction Professionalsopen/close

Campbell, John

John Campbell (1857-1942) served his articles under John Gordon (c1835-1912) in Glasgow. He arrived in Dunedin in 1882 and after a brief period as a draughtsman with Mason and Wales joined the Dunedin branch of the Public Works Department in 1883. His first known work, an unbuilt design for the Dunedin Railway Station, reveals an early interest in Baroque architecture.

In November 1888 Campbell was transferred to Wellington where in 1889 he took up the position of draughtsman in charge of the Public Buildings Division of the Public Works Department.

He remained in charge of the design of government buildings throughout New Zealand until his retirement in 1922, becoming in 1909 the first person to hold the position of Government Architect. Government architecture designed under his aegis evidences a change in style from Queen Anne to Edwardian Baroque. His best-known Queen Anne design is the Dunedin Police Station (1895-8), modelled on Richard Norman Shaw's New Scotland Yard (1887-90). Among his most exuberant Edwardian Baroque buildings is the Public Trust Office, Wellington (1905-09). Although Campbell designed the Dunedin Law Courts (1899-1902) in the Gothic style with a Scottish Baronial inflection, he established Edwardian Baroque as the government style for police stations, courthouses and post offices throughout New Zealand. In 1911 Campbell won the nation-wide architectural competition for the design of Parliament Buildings, Wellington. Although only partially completed, Parliament House is the crowning achievement of Campbell's career.

Additional informationopen/close

Construction Dates

Original Construction
1915 -

Other Information

Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.