Crown Milling Company Building
Manor Place, Dunedin
List Entry Information
List Entry Status
List Entry Type
Historic Place Category 1
Private/No Public Access
6th September 1984
All DP 1285, Lot 1 DP 9700
This historic place was registered under the Historic Places Act 1980. The following text is the original citation considered by the NZHPT Board at the time of registration.
This very impressive industrial building known as the Crown Roller Mills was initially built in brick as a stone mill in 1867 by Anderson and Mouat and was extended and altered by James Anderson in 1878. Finally, in 1890 Robert Anderson and Company added two floors, the architect being James Hislop. The building has benefited greatly from these alterations and additions.
It is the lower two of the five storeys that in part give the building its distinctive flavour. The building reaches a peak on the left hand side of the façade and then drops away on the right to the third floor. The bold contrast between the brick and the cream Oamaru stone facings on the doors and windows is the other major highlight of the building. The façade is enriched by the variations in treatment of the windows which nevertheless still retain a strong overall unity.
This building, still in everyday use, is a functional and quite striking example of Victorian industrial architecture making a noteworthy contribution to the Dunedin townscape.
Hislop, James (1859-1904)
‘James Hislop (1859-1904) was born in Glasgow and came to New Zealand at a very early age. He was educated at North East Valley School and received his architectural training in the office of Mason and Wales. He also spent two years with the Public Works Department, as district manager of Nelson. In 1880 he entered into business with W.H. Terry who retired three years later. He established his own practice in Dunedin and later entered into a partnership with Edward Walter Walden. In 1889 Hislop designed and supervised the erection of the South Seas Exhibition among a number of prominent buildings both in Otago and elsewhere in the country.’
‘Among the significant buildings designed by James Hislop, or by the Hislop and Walden partnership are Crown Milling Co. building, Miller Place, Dunedin (c.1880); New Zealand Steam Shipping Co. office, Dunedin; DIC, Christchurch; Evans and Co. Mill, Timaru; National Bank, George Street, Dunedin; Napier Abattoirs (1902); Hallenstein Building, The Octagon; Dunedin City Abattoirs.’ Hislop moved to Wellington around 1903, where he died as the result of an accident in 1904.
Source: Heritage New Zealand Review Report for Ferntree Lodge, List No. 368, 27 Jun 2017, Heather Bauchop.
Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.