Cottage

389 Selwyn Street, Addington, Christchurch

  • Cottage.
    Copyright: Christchurch City Council.
  • June 1989. Original image submitted at time of registration.
    Copyright: NZHPT Field Record Form Collection. Taken By: Pam Wilson.

List Entry Information

List Entry Status Listed List Entry Type Historic Place Category 2 Public Access Private/No Public Access
List Number 3700 Date Entered 6th September 1984

Locationopen/close

Extent of List Entry

Extent includes the land described as Lot 2 DP 81890 (CT CB47B/310), Canterbury Land District and the building known as Cottage thereon.

City/District Council

Christchurch City

Region

Canterbury Region

Legal description

Lot 2 DP 81890 (CT CB47B/310), Canterbury Land District

Summaryopen/close

Constructed as one of an identical pair some time between 1874 and 1881, the single storeyed timber cottage at 389 Selwyn Street has architectural, historical and social significance as an example of a simple dwelling in the historically working class suburb of Addington.

In the early days of colonial settlement, Addington had been purchased as a substantial block of land outside the central city boundaries, and subsequently subdivided. The location of the railway line between this area and the city centre encouraged settlement in Addington by labourers and tradesmen. The cottage at 389 Selwyn Street is one of a number of small cottages surviving in the area. Two identical dwellings (389 and 391 Selwyn Street) were built on the same land parcel next to one another for labourer Andrew Neill, after he purchased the section in 1874.

Fronting the west side of Selwyn Street, opposite the Addington Cemetery, the cottage at 389 Selwyn Street is a single storeyed weatherboard building, with a straight verandah extending the length of the façade. It has a central door flanked by sash windows, a gable roof running north to south and an extension at the rear. The roof is corrugated steel. The piles are believed to be volcanic rock.

The history of the cottage at 389 Selwyn Street has long been intertwined with that of its neighbour, 391 Selwyn Street (List No. 3699). Neill’s name appears on the certificate of title from 1874 until the time of his death in 1905, and he may have lived in one of the cottages until the late 1880s. The cottage at 389 Selwyn Street along with the neighbouring cottage were then passed to his children Eliza Down and James Neill and remained in the ownership of the Neill family until 1967. In 1913 the land had been subdivided, resulting in 389 and 391 Selwyn Street each having their own land parcel. Minor changes have been made to the building over time.

Linksopen/close

Additional informationopen/close

Construction Dates

Original Construction
1874 - 1881

Completion Date

19th January 2017

Report Written By

Robyn Burgess

Other Information

Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.

A fully referenced upgrade report is available on request from the Southern Region Office of Heritage New Zealand.