St Augustine's Church (Anglican)
8 Island Road And Tram Road, Clarkville
List Entry Information
List Entry Status
List Entry Type
Historic Place Category 2
Private/No Public Access
6th September 1984
Lot 1 DP 83594 (CT CB48B/1177), Canterbury Land District
Mallinson is one of the lesser known figures who practised architecture in the early days of European settlement in Canterbury. In July 1857 he opened an office in Lyttelton, describing himself as an architect, surveyor and land agent. In 1864 he sailed for England with his family.
During his time in Canterbury, Mallinson established a name for himself as an ecclesiastical architect designing the first St Luke's Church (1857), Church of the Holy Trinity, Lyttelton (1858), St Cuthbert's Church, Governor's Bay (1859), and Wesleyan Chapels at Kaiapoi (1859) and Lyttelton (1860).
Mallinson was also responsible for an extension to Peacock's Wharf, Lyttelton (1858). He was on the committee of the Fine Arts Society. His involvement with local affairs may have come to an end when he was adjudged bankrupt in July 1863, and this may also be the reason for his departure from the colony in 1864.
Mallinson cannot be placed amongst the first rank of early Canterbury architects, but his work provides a valuable insight into pioneer concerns.
Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.