Hook Road, Paparoa
List Entry Information
List Entry Status
List Entry Type
Historic Place Category 2
Private/No Public Access
6th September 1984
Pt Lot 1 DP 99263 Blk XI Matakohe SD
William James Symonds was from Hook Wood, Shipbourne, Kent, England. He arrived in New Zealand on the Matilda Wattenbach in September 1862 as part of the Albertland settlement scheme, and was one of the first Albertland settlers in the area. Symonds was married to Elizabeth Haines by Rev. Gittos at Rangiora mission station in September 1866. Elizabeth was one of the family of George Haines, an Albertland immigrant who had arrived on the Hanover. The Haines family operated the store at Pahi.
In 1864 Symonds and fellow settler J. Hook erected a Government barracks building at Pahi to provide shelter for new arrivals in the district. Symonds built a substantial boatbuilding yard and sawmill at Pahi, and subsequently built the sawmill across the river at Whakapirau, which he later sold to Chadwick before leaving the district in the 1880s.
Symonds was a skilled builder, boatbuilder and blacksmith. He was described as ‘an absolute genius who could make almost anything’. He died in 1912 at Hastings.
With partner Samuel Cooksey, Symonds built a number of public buildings such as St Mark’s Church at Paparoa in 1876 (NZHPT Record Number 3912, destroyed by fire 2005). Symonds was responsible for the design of the Paparoa Methodist church, which Cooksey built (NZHPT Record Number 3910).
Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.