Annedale Station Woolshed
Annedale Road, Tinui
List Entry Information
List Entry Status
List Entry Type
Historic Place Category 1
Private/No Public Access
16th November 1989
Lot 5 DP 341701 (CT 171586), Wellington Land District
Postal Address: 1543 Annedale Road RD9 Masterton 5889
Although the Annedale Station originated in the 1870s, the woolshed was probably built in the mid 1880s when the 15,000 acre property was purchased and developed by the Beetham Brothers, of Brancepeth Station, and T.C. Williams, a major land owner, who had married the Beetham's sister, Annie. When the partnership was dissolved in 1905 the Annedale property came into the ownership of Williams.
Historical Significance or Value
The Annedale property was one of the earliest and largest Wairarapa sheep stations. Its association with the Beetham Brothers of Brancepeth and with T.C. Williams illustrate the interlocking relationships of the major landowners and farmers of the area in the later 19th century.
The Annedale woolshed is a particularly good example of the woolsheds of the Wairarapa and Hawkes Bay. The provision of prominent ventilators on the roof ridges is an obvious response to the high summer temperatures experienced in the area. The wool room with its mezzanine storage floor and loading-out chute is of considerable interest.
The woolshed surrounded by the pens and paddocks necessary for the purpose of shearing and wool storage, is isolated from other station buildings.
A large, T-shaped woolshed of a timber vernacular style specific to the Wairarapa and Hawkes Bay. The principal section of the shed is two storeys high. The wings are of single storey, but maintain the same roof pitch. The building has nine ventilators set at regular intervals along the three roof ridges. The building has gabled roofs with windows, head shaped to the roof-line at the gable ends. Shearing ports and windows are spaced regularly, at two levels. The wool room has a mezzanine floor for wool storage. The bales are raised to the floor through a trapdoor by an electric winch and are loaded out through a double folding door which is lowered to form the loading chute.
No structural modifications. Shed has been wired for electricity.
The roof ridge ventilators; the mezzanine floor wool storage facility.
Timber framing with shiplap weatherboards; corrugated iron roofing; interior unlined.
A. G. Bagnall, Wairarapa; An Historical Excursion, Trentham, 1976
Geoffrey Thornton, The New Zealand Heritage of Farm Buildings, Auckland, 1986
This historic place was registered under the Historic Places Act 1980. This report includes the text from the original Building Classification Committee report considered by the NZHPT Board at the time of registration.
Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.