Bank of Australasia (Former)

28 Queen Street West And 1 Bristol Street, Levin

  • Bank of Australasia (Former). From: http://horowhenua.kete.net.nz.
    Copyright: Horowhenua Historical Society Inc.

List Entry Information

List Entry Status Listed List Entry Type Historic Place Category 2 Public Access Private/No Public Access
List Number 4076 Date Entered 5th September 1985

Locationopen/close

Extent of List Entry

Extent includes the land described as Pt Sec 12 Blk IX Town of Levin (CT WN6A/885) Wellington Land District and the building known as Bank of Australasia (Former) thereon.

City/District Council

Horowhenua District

Region

Horizons (Manawatu-Wanganui) Region

Legal description

Pt Sec 12 Blk IX Town of Levin (CT WN6A/885), Wellington Land District

Summaryopen/close

The Bank of Australasia (Former), Levin, was designed as a branch bank by the prominent architectural firm of Crichton & McKay in 1905 in an Edwardian Classical style. Located on a prominent street corner, the building has architectural, historical and social significance for its role as a provincial financial institution, and high streetscape appeal.

The Bank of Australasia (Former) is a two-storey timber weatherboard commercial building; the design included accommodation for the bank manager upstairs, with four bedrooms. The building is decorated with a bracketed cornice and balustrade around the roofline, which includes a pediment on the Queen Street West frontage. The side entrance located on Bristol Street comprises a porch with coloured glass. The building cost £1,440. Constructed of native timbers, it retains its concrete strongroom with heavy metal door.

The Bank of Australasia merged with the Union Bank of Australia in 1951, becoming the Australia and New Zealand Bank Ltd (ANZ), but in Levin both banks continued in separate premises until December 1956 when they moved into new shared premises on Oxford Street. The property was sold to a Mrs Dorothy Herring in 1958, who owned it for ten years. Subsequent owners and tenants have included the Department of Social Welfare, Citizens Advice Bureau, law and architects’ offices and real estate agents.

Linksopen/close

Construction Professionalsopen/close

Crichton & McKay

No biography is currently available for this construction professional

Additional informationopen/close

Construction Dates

Original Construction
1905 -

Restoration
2008 -

Completion Date

15th April 2013

Report Written By

Natasha Naus and Vivienne Morrell

Information Sources

Manawatu Standard

Manawatu Standard

1 March 1905, p. 8.

Horowhenua Chronicle

Horowhenua Chronicle

29 Oct 2008, p.1.

Other Information

A fully referenced Upgrade Report is available from the Central Region office of NZHPT.

Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.