51 Bath Street, Levin
List Entry Information
List Entry Status
List Entry Type
Historic Place Category 2
Private/No Public Access
5th September 1985
Extent of List Entry
Extent is the land described as Lot 1 DP 65398 (RT WN34C/402), Wellington Land District and the building known as House thereon.
Horizons (Manawatu-Wanganui) Region
Lot 1 DP 65398 (RT WN34C/402), Wellington Land District
Constructed between 1908 and 1909, the house at 51 Bath Street in Levin has architectural and historical significance as a representative example of a middle class villa built on a generous half-acre rectangular section in a small town. One of many houses in Levin constructed by a local builder, it reflects the early twentieth century development of regional urban centres supported by a rural hinterland.
The Levin area was one of the last places in the Horowhenua region opened to Pākehā settlement. The completion of the Wellington–Manawatū railway line in 1886 fostered the growth of inland settlements such as Levin. The town was supported by farming in its hinterland and became a borough in 1906. 51 Bath Street was constructed by builder George Kenmer Douglas for auctioneer Guy Marriot and Margaret Marriot between 1908 and 1909. A prolific local builder, Douglas was responsible for most of the houses at the west end of Bath Street and nearby Victoria Street. The Marriots sold the property to Levin pharmacist Frederick Remington in 1910 after their auctioneering firm was liquidated. A week before the sale, Margaret Marriot appeared in the social pages of the New Zealand Times giving an afternoon tea in the ‘large dining room’ of the house, which was referred to as ‘Murcott’.
Remington owned the property until 1918, when he sold it to farmer Hemi Matene Ranapiri, who then sold to Mary Kilsby in 1923. She and her husband George had farmed at nearby Koputaroa; she moved to Levin a few years after her husband’s death and lived in the house until she died in 1934. 51 Bath Street remained in the Kilsby family until 2006, when it was inherited by the family of Margaret Keenan (née Kilsby). That year Kilsby descendants held a picnic in the back garden during the borough centennial celebrations.
51 Bath Street is an L-shaped rusticated weatherboard villa with a pyramidal gable corrugated iron roof. A bull nose verandah connects two window bays and is supported by six simply-decorated posts and a balustrade. The verandah was originally bisected by an open turret with a polygon roof, which was distinguished by elaborate fretwork between the posts; this was removed following the Wairarapa earthquakes of 1942. The half-acre section was subdivided in 1985 and three units were built on the west side. It remains a private residence.
Douglas, George Kenmer
No biography is currently available for this construction professional
1908 - 1909
20th March 2019
Report Written By
Kerryn Pollock and Phillis Chih-Hsuan
Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand
McKinnon, Malcolm, 'Manawatū and Horowhenua places - Horowhenua', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/manawatu-and-horowhenua-places/page-9 (accessed 12 October 2018)
51 Bath Street, Levin, Kete Horowhenua, http://horowhenua.kete.net.nz/en/site/topics/1 67-51-bath-street-levin (accessed 05 July 2017).
Jones, Howard J., 1956
From Bush to Borough: A Short Story of the Growth and Development of Levin, New Zealand, Golden Jubilee Celebration 1906–1956, K. B. H. Ltd., Levin, 1956
A fully referenced upgrade report is available on request from the Central Region Office of Heritage New Zealand.
Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.