1 Fry Street And Boulcott Street, Lower Hutt
List Entry Information
List Entry Status
List Entry Type
Historic Place Category 1
Private/No Public Access
25th September 1986
Extent of List Entry
Registration includes the house, its fittings and fixtures and the land depicted in DP 12554 (which is within Lot 2 DP 91194 Wellington Land District) thereon.
Lot 2 DP 91194 (CT WN59A/417), Wellington Land District
The Glebe is one of the oldest surviving buildings in the Wellington region and is the first purpose-built vicarage built in the Hutt Valley. The house was constructed in 1856 to the designs of William Corbett, Church Warden for the Naenae District, on land that had been given by Edward Gibbon Wakefield to the Anglican Church in the previous year. William and Joseph Hall built the house and its first occupant was the Reverend T. B. Hutton, son-in-law of Archdeacon Henry Williams and vicar of St James. In 1899, following the construction of a new vicarage, the house was sold to Frederick de Jersey Clere, a prominent Wellington architect, and Diocesan architect of the Anglican Church. Clere renamed the house 'The Glebe', an old English term for land owned by the church. Clere made alterations to the building including the addition of the south gabled wing in 1902. The house was sold in 1920 to D. W. Driscoll, who owned the house until his death in 1943. The house became the property of his wife who held it until 1967. The Driscolls lifted the roof to make more room in the attic. In addition, a large part of the close (grounds) was taken for roading purposes. In 1967 the Glebe was sold to E. J. Harper who divided the house into flats. The building was returned to a single dwelling in 1986.
The Glebe is a two-storeyed timber-frame weatherboard building with gabled roof (originally shingled). The original style was a simple Victorian cottage and most of the additions have been in sympathy with this. Plain bargeboards are attached to the gable ends. Window-hoods supported on brackets have been added, also a much later porte cochere at the southern end. It originally had an exterior staircase but it is not known when this was removed.
The Glebe has rarity value as it is one of Wellington's oldest houses, and the first purpose-built vicarage in the Hutt Valley. Its historic significance is derived principally from its association with the Anglican Church, firstly as a vicarage for the parish of St James, and, secondly, as the house of the Diocesan architect, Frederick de Jersey Clere. Clere is regarded as one of Wellington's greatest architects, and was responsible for the design of hundreds of churches, houses, and buildings throughout the Wellington region.
Removal of outside staircase
Addition of the south gabled wing
Addition of a room
Roof lifted like a lean-to to make more use of attic space
House subdivided for flats
Restored removed and restored to plan of house c. 1900-1904
Porte cochere added
16th August 2001
Report Written By
Alexander Turnbull Library
Alexander Turnbull Library, Wellington
Frederick de Jersey Clere Papers, MS-Papers-0668-1
Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.