St Paul's Church (Anglican)
55 William Street And Glasgow Street, Huntly
List Entry Information
List Entry Status
List Entry Type
Historic Place Category 1
Private/No Public Access
15th February 1990
Lots 27-28 DP 1188 (CT SA105/207), South Auckland Land District
The present St Paul's Huntly replaces the old wooden church of St Paul (1893) which burnt down on 16 October 1933.
St Paul's, Huntly (1843) was the centre of a parochial district which included Te Kauwhata and Ngaruawahia. This district was established in 1895 when Rev. A.M. Bradbury was appointed Vicar. Ngaruawahia became a separate district in June 1933, leaving the second St Pauls (1935) as the major church in the smaller Huntly parochial district. In 1946 Te Kauwhata became a separate district and so the role of St Pauls is now limited to servicing the immediate Huntly area. The church celebrated its Golden Jubilee in 1985. The foundation stone for the second St Paul's was laid by the first Bishop of Waikato, the Rt. Reverend C.A. Cherrington in 1934.
Historical Significance or Value
The present St Pauls, Huntly celebrated, its Golden Jubilee in 1985 and this church continues nearly one hundred year's association with this site by the Anglican Church.
Though a late example of the architectural idiom the church is true to Arts and Crafts principles of originality of design in a local building tradition using local building materials - in this case Huntly brick. The constructional polychromy uses six different coloured bricks while the interior features an openwork timber ceiling with a rimu match-lined ceiling. St Pauls is a simple but attractive design and in its imaginative use of local brick is a celebration of one of Huntly's principal industries.
St Paul's, Huntly is now surrounded by recent industrial buildings and its townscape and landmark significance has been diminished.
Greenwell was Manager of the Huntly Brickworks and a prominent member of the Huntly community before World War II. He worked in the company from about 1904 and rose to management level in the 1920s. During this time he became a qualified engineer.
Greenwell's design ability can be seen in St paul's Anglican Church, Huntly (1935), and Huntly Masonic Hall.
**Address referred to as '55 Williams Street, Huntly' in letter from Anglican Diocese of Waikato - 10/12/2002
This is a free adaptation of the Early English Gothic style. There are pointed lancet windows featuring splayed sills and transoms which divide each window into three parts. Much use of constructional polychromy is employed throughout the building differentiating parts of the structure as well as minor features such as sills and voussoirs. The exterior is buttressed and
features crenellation along a parapet which abuts the steeply pitched roof. There is a square tower adjoining the church which is also battlemented but has a flat roof. The interior has a fine panelled ceiling, more polychromic brickwork and attractive stained glass.
No external modifications.
1984 Some rearrangement of pews
The polychrome use of Huntly brick.
Some rearrangement of pews
Brick with a Marseilles tile roof. Interior roof structure, timber.
New Zealand Historic Places Trust (NZHPT)
New Zealand Historic Places Trust
New Life Magazine
New Life Magazine
February - March 1985
Folder: 'St Pauls Church, Huntly'
This historic place was registered under the Historic Places Act 1980. This report includes the text from the original Building Classification Committee report considered by the NZHPT Board at the time of registration.
Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.