72 Hinuera Road, Matamata
List Entry Information
List Entry Status
List Entry Type
Historic Place Category 2
Private/No Public Access
5th September 1985
Extent of List Entry
Extent includes part of the land described as Pt Lot 1 DPS 5900 (CT SA7B/638), South Auckland Land District and the building known as Cleavedale thereon. Extent is limited to the curtilage boundaries of the house (refer to map tabled at the Board meeting of 27 February 2014).
Pt Lot 1 DPS 5900 (CT SA7B/638), South Auckland Land District
Cleavedale is located on the outskirts of Matamata on Hinuera Road. Built in 1911 for local farmer John Cranswick (1867-1951), the homestead is an architecturally representative example of an Edwardian two-bay villa with exceptional fretwork detailing. It has significant social history value for the town of Matamata, as it was built and inhabited by two pioneering families who greatly contributed to the growth and progress of the area.
John Cranswick arrived in Matamata in 1895 and drew Section 104 in the Matamata subdivision ballot in 1904. His plot was situated on the Hinuera West Road and stretched to the Waitoa River. As per the conditions on the ballot lease, Cranswick fenced his section and erected a small lean-to in which to live. In 1911 Thames architect and builder Albert William Gordon (1888-1917) built a two bay villa as a homestead on the farm.
The house is an Edwardian, single-storey, two-bay villa with a return verandah. The fretwork detailing is of an exceptional standard and the balcony balustrades are of a geometric design. The house has a hipped roof and a combination of single and double opening sash windows. It is constructed with totara framing, weatherboard cladding and a corrugated iron roof.
The Cranswick family lived at Cleavedale for approximately five years before building a replica of the house in urban Matamata. The farm was subdivided and the land containing the homestead was purchased by farmer Alfred Cleave Vosper (1867-1949) in 1920. Vosper was active in the local farming community; he was vice-president of the ‘Matamata Jersey Breeders Club’, a member of the Farmers Union and reared award-winning cattle. It is assumed that the name ‘Cleavedale’ is derived from Vosper’s middle name; ‘Cleave’ is attributed to be the maiden surname of Alfred’s mother. Alfred’s son, John Peter Vosper (1907-1997) took over ownership of the farm in 1942 and it has remained in the family to this day, retaining the name of Cleavedale. The homestead is predominantly in original condition, the only alteration has been the glazing of the open verandahs in the 1920s or 1930s.
Gordon, Albert William
No biography is currently available for this construction professional
1920 - 1939
Open verandahs glazed
21st January 2014
Report Written By
Stanley, Joan, Matamata: Ballot Farms and Families: 1904-2004, Matamata: Print Plus, 2004
A fully referenced upgrade report is available on request from the Lower Northern Office of the NZHPT
Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.