Derwent Street, Naseby
List Entry Information
List Entry Status
List Entry Type
Historic Place Category 1
Private/No Public Access
26th November 1987
Central Otago District
Sec 18 Blk II Naseby Town
Historical Significance or Value
The Naseby goldfield was discovered in 1863 and this building was erected only two years later as a Union church. By 1870-1873 there were sufficient ministers and supporters of each faith to have their own separate churches and the Union church fund and the building were transferred to an Athenaeum committee in 1870. In 1873 the citizens of Naseby voted 200 pounds to buying books for the Athenaeum. Though miners worked long hours, reading books from lending libraries seems to have been a popular alternative leisure activity to drinking in public houses, and nearly every small mining settlement had its athenaeum. Some, such as the one at Moonlight, remained long after most of the miners had gone.
One of the simplest of early church building showing early use of vertical corrugated iron walls.
An early building in a streetscape with several other nineteenth century buildings.
No biography is currently available for this construction professional
(Union Church Naseby)
ARCHITECTURAL DESCRIPTION (Style):
Style is simple barn-shape with a front porch repeating the shape of the front gable.
One of the gothic side windows has been replaced with a modern rectangular casement window, the two outside doors have been modernised and the interior lined out with plywood and modern shelving. The roofing iron has been replaced. A small porch has been added.
One of the few athenaeum buildings which looks like a church since it still retains six of its seven gothic patterned windows.
The church is a very simple, single gable building of rectangular plan (about 6.5 x 14m) with a porch symmetrically arranged on the front wall to repeat the pattern of the roof gable. There is a window in the front wall of the porch with a nice gothic arch and a tracery of small panes repeating the arch. There are five similar windows in the side walls. The windows make it look like a church still.
Janet. C. Cowan, Down the Years in the Maniototo: A Survey of the Early History of Maniototo County and Naseby Borough, Otago Centennial Historical Publications, Whitcombe and Tombs, Dunedin, 1948
A. Don, Memories of the Golden Road. Reed, Dunedin, 1936
This historic place was registered under the Historic Places Act 1980. This report includes the text from the original Building Classification Committee report considered by the NZHPT Board at the time of registration.
Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.