Knox Church (Presbyterian)
453-463 George Street, Dunedin
List Entry Information
List Entry Status
List Entry Type
Historic Place Category 1
26th November 1987
Lots 1/2 DP 12040 Lot 2 DP 3774
The brief description that follows is from the Field Record Form attached to the Proposal for Classification that was considered by the Board at the time of registration.
It may seem surprising that two large Presbyterian churches were built in Dunedin between 1868 and 1876. First Church was opened in 1873 and Knox Church in 1876. First church was built by the Free Church under the Rev. Thomas Burns and Knox by a group of Congregationalists, Methodists and United Presbyterians. In 1858 the latter joined amicably with First Church to form a committee under the chairmanship of John Gillies. Resident Magistrate, to establish Knox Church, John Gillies wrote to Edinburgh that because of the diverse backgrounds of the members, the new minister would need to be large-minded, prudent and affable. The Rev. D M Stuart filled their requirements from 1860 to 1894. The first Knox Church was erected on the corner of Great King and Frederick Streets in 1859-60. With only 600 seats it was soon found to be too small for the growing community and the present church holding 1000 people was built. The old church was demolished to make way for a new Sunday school. The committee accepted a design by David Ross, but had to dismiss Ross for insisting on employing an inspector of works who 'could be bought at any time with a pot of beer'. Ross was a good architect and designed the older block of the Otago Museum, the Fernhill Club building for John Jones and the Moray Place Congregational Church. To preserve his reputation he took the Knox Church committee to court but lost his case. The committee had to start again and accepted a more expensive design from R A Lawson. By letting contracts to smaller firms and employing day labourers the committee managed to cut costs. The Ballyhulish Slate Company provided the slates free of charge at the quarry mouth. The church was free of debt by 1892. The church has no foundation stone because the original one for Ross's design had to be removed.
The second major Presbyterian church in Dunedin, built for a mixed group of United Presbyterians, Congregationalists and Methodists. It represents the academic and professional Presbyterians and has always been the church with the closest ties to the University of Otago. (First Church was built by the free Church of Scotland).
Knox Church is an important example of Lawson's work with a better interior than First Church.
The spire is an important landmark at the north end of the Dunedin's commercial centre and the only large church on the main street.
Lawson, Robert Arthur
Born in Scotland, Lawson (1833-1902) began his professional career in Perth. At the age of 25 he moved to Melbourne and was engaged in goldmining and journalism before resuming architectural practice. In 1862 Lawson sailed for Dunedin, where his sketch plans had won the competition for the design of First Church. This was built 1867-73. Lawson went on to become one of the most important architects in New Zealand. First Church is regarded as his masterpiece and one of the finest nineteenth century churches in New Zealand.
He was also responsible for the design of the Trinity Church (now Fortune Theatre), Dunedin (1869-70), the East Taieri Presbyterian Church (1870), and Knox Church, Dunedin (1874). He designed Park's School (1864) and the ANZ Bank (originally Union Bank, 1874). In Oamaru he designed the Bank of Otago (later National Bank building, 1870) and the adjoining Bank of New South Wales (now Forrester Gallery, 1881).
See also: Ledgerwood, Norman, 2013. 'R.A. Lawson: Victorian Architect of Dunedin'. Historic Cemeteries Conservation NZ.
The striking black and white patterning of the stone work, the 165 foot spire and the elaborate hammer-beam ceiling. The cast iron railings above a bluestone wall surrounding the church are impressive and included for classification.
Materials used were Port Chalmers breccia for the basement, Leith valley andesite for the walls with Oamaru stone facings, and slate from the MacKerras Creek Slate quarry for the roof. Inside four cast iron pillars help support the gallery and the roof. The roof is constructed on the hammer-beam principle.
A Ross, They built in faith, 1976
Frances Porter (ed), Historic Buildings of Dunedin, South Island, Methuen, Auckland, 1983.
Royden Somerville (ed), 'They continue in faith, the last 25 years: celebrating 150 years, 1860-2010', Knox Church, Dunedin, 2010
This historic place was registered under the Historic Places Act 1980. This report includes the text from the original Building Classification Committee report considered by the NZHPT Board at the time of registration.
Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.