44-48 Queen Street; Fort Lane, Auckland
List Entry Information
List Entry Status
List Entry Type
Historic Place Category 2
Private/No Public Access
10th September 1987
Extent of List Entry
Extent includes the land described as Pt Allot 3 Sec 2 City of Auckland (CT NA2D/87) and Pt Allot 3 Sec 2 City of Auckland DP 1893 (CT NA661/145), North Auckland Land District and the buildings known as Imperial Buildings thereon, and their fittings and fixtures.
Auckland Council (Auckland City Council)
Pt Allot 3 Sec 2 City of Auckland (CT NA2D/87) and Pt Allot 3 Sec 2 City of Auckland DP 1893 (CT NA661/145), North Auckland Land District.
Thomas Mahoney (1854/5?-1923) was the eldest son of Edward Mahoney, a leading Auckland architect. Thomas joined his father's firm, Edward Mahoney and Sons, in 1878 and was followed soon after by his younger brother Robert.
The firm was responsible for a wide range of designs including domestic buildings, commercial and public buildings, churches and hotels. They won a competition for the design of the Auckland Customhouse in 1888, and were also responsible for the design of The Pah (now Monte Cecilia Convent), Hillsborough (1887), the Elliot Street facade of Smith and Caughey's Building (1910) and Wrights Building, Auckland (1911).
Thomas was secretary of the Auckland Institute of Architects in 1885, president in 1883, and treasurer in 1902. In 1907 he was president of the Auckland branch of the New Zealand Institute of Architects.
The restoration of the Imperial Buildings by Fearon Hay Architects was awarded the New Zealand Architecture Medal at the 2013 New Zealand Architecture Awards.
Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.