367 Malvern Street, Glenleith, Dunedin
List Entry Information
List Entry Status
List Entry Type
Historic Place Category 1
Private/No Public Access
26th November 1987
Lot 2 DP 10675 Lot 2 DP 13005 & pt Sec 74 Blk 9 North Harbour & Blueskin SD
The house was owned in the 1880s by Henry Skey, one of Dunedin's early meteorologists and chief draughtsman in the Lands and Survey office. He is known to have sent out daily weather readings from the City Radio/Sligo Terrace site between 1865 and 1885 and later from his home in Leith Valley. He owned the land at Leith Valley from 1867, leasing it until he moved the house there. The eleven hectares around the house has been reduced to six.
This is a fine example of a wooden house developed from the stone gothic houses of Victorian Britain. Known as carpenter gothic and developed in North America, the style was enthusiastically adopted by New Zealand builders, particularly in Nelson for the larger early houses from the 1840s to 1860s.
An important house in Leith Valley, sitting up on the edge of the hill with good visibility.
ARCHITECTURAL DESCRIPTION (Style):
The style is basically carpenter gothic a North American development) with classical embellishments. The gables are steeply pitched with elaborate barge boards and turned finials, but the parapets above the bay windows are classical with brackets, cornices and balustrading. The pediment over the front window is classical also in its proportions but the house gives the impression of being carpenter gothic because of its high gables and fretted boards. The basic structure of the house may have been a kit-set, brought from Britain as ballast in an early sailing ship.
It is not known how much the house was modified when it was shifted but there have been few changes to the exterior judging by a 1880s photograph. Inside the kitchen and bathroom have been modernised.
Its age and gothic qualities.
The walls are weatherboards and the roof has the original scotch corrugated iron. Vertical boards on the front and two sides are thought to be Baltic pine, and run from the ground to the gutter of the second floor without a join. The other wall and part of a side wall have horizontal boards. The foundations are large beams laid horizontally on stones. There were six bedrooms upstairs and four large living rooms downstairs, including a large farmhouse type kitchen. The front hall is lined with Minton tiles and the original staircase and glass panelled doors are still intact. Two of the original fireplaces have gone but otherwise the interior fittings are still as they were in the 1880s, including the plain tongue and groove and plank and baton ceilings. The interior arches of the front bay window have sculptured wooden corbels finishing the arch. The exterior has fretted bargeboards and a pediment over a major window at the front. There were once balustrades over the main bay window, and in 1902 there was a simple wooden conservatory at the side. The front porch has double verandah posts, wide arching brackets and a classical cornice. The house originally stood on the edge of the Town Belt where there is now a playground at the corner of City Road and Sligo Terrace. It was moved in three sections in about 1885 by Mr H Skey.
L. Galer, Houses and Homes, Allied Press, Dunedin, 1981
This historic place was registered under the Historic Places Act 1980. This report includes the text from the original Building Classification Committee report considered by the NZHPT Board at the time of registration.
Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.