Central Police Station (Former)

21 Dunbar Street And High Street, Dunedin

  • Central Police Station (Former).
    Copyright: Wikimedia Commons. Taken By: Ben Hill. Date: 24/08/2009.

List Entry Information

List Entry Status Listed List Entry Type Historic Place Category 2 Public Access Private/No Public Access
List Number 4748 Date Entered 25th September 1986

Locationopen/close

Extent of List Entry

Extent includes part of the land described as Lot 1 DP 21190 (CT OT13A/739), Otago Land District and the building known as the Dunedin Police Station (Former) thereon. Refer to the extent map tabled at the Rārangi Kōrero Committee meeting on 26 July 2018.

City/District Council

Dunedin City

Region

Otago Region

Legal description

Lot 1 DP 29110 (CT OT13a/739), Otago Land District

Linksopen/close

Construction Professionalsopen/close

Crichton, W

William Crichton (1862-1928) was born in England in 1862. He trained as an architect under James Hicks of Redruth, before immigrating to New Zealand in 1879. Upon his arrival he joined the Colonial Architects Office. When Crichton designed the Dunedin Police Station in 1890 he was employed by the Public Works Department. One year later, in 1891, he established his own architectural firm. The same year he won the competition for the design of the Wellington Municipal Library, and in 1901 he won second prize for the Wellington Town Hall competition.

In 1901 Crichton and James Hector McKay founded the firm Crichton and McKay. McKay had previously been in a partnership with Robert Roy MacGregor from 1898-1901. With the addition of Vivian Haughton in the 1920s the firm became Crichton, McKay & Haughton.

Other notable works by Crichton, McKay & Haughton includes the Huddart Parker Building (1923) and the Dominion Building (1926-1927) in Wellington.

McLeod and Shaw

No biography is currently available for this construction professional

Lindsay Gillies

Lindsay Gillies was responsible for the extensive repairs and remodelling of the Dunedin Central Police Station (4748) in 1992-1994.

Graham Stevens

Graham Stevens was the contractor for the work being done on the Dunedin Central Police Station in 1992-1994.

Additional informationopen/close

Construction Dates

Original Construction
1891 -

Designed
1890 -

Addition
-
Wing added

Partial Demolition
1985 -
Addition demolished

Refurbishment/renovation
1993 - 1994
Renovated and turned into offices

Other Information

Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.

A fully referenced upgrade report is available on request from the Otago/Southland Area Office of Heritage New Zealand.