Kaituna

19 Graham Street, Dunedin

  • Kaituna, Dunedin. Image included in Field Record Form Collection.
    Copyright: Heritage New Zealand.

List Entry Information

List Entry Status Listed List Entry Type Historic Place Category 2 Public Access Private/No Public Access
List Number 4805 Date Entered 29th November 1985

Locationopen/close

Extent of List Entry

Extent includes the land described as Lot 9 DP 1786 (CT OT142/247), Otago Land District and the building known as Kaituna thereon.

City/District Council

Dunedin City

Region

Otago Region

Legal description

Lot 9 DP 1786 (CT OT142/247), Otago Land District

Location description

19 Graham Street, corner 12 Sutherland Street, DUNEDIN

Summaryopen/close

A Dunedin landmark and monument to noted architect Henry F. Hardy’s (1831-1904) unusual style of residential architecture, Kaituna towers over Maclaggan Street and its surrounds. Designed by Hardy in 1893, Kaituna has seen a varied history including boarding establishment and private school. It is historically and architecturally important as one of Hardy’s later residential designs, all the more significant in that it sits adjacent to one of Hardy’s first designs built 1857-1858. Finally, it is also socially significant as a testament to the nature of early boarding arrangements, boarding houses and private schools.

Born in England in 1831, Henry Frederick Hardy immigrated to New Zealand in 1853. First apprenticing himself to a cabinetmaker, he then helped build the first ship constructed in Dunedin. In 1854 Hardy married Isabella (c.1831-1871), nee Calder, widow of the late John Boyle Todd. Isabella’s address was given as Ebbin Cottage, Dunedin. In 1858 Hardy officially purchased Section 22 Block VII on which the cottage stood. It was the first of many land purchases on which he built and leased houses. In 1862 Hardy trained briefly with Augustus Poeppel (1839-1891), architect and surveyor. Hardy now advertised as an architect rather than builder. His business continued to expand, as did his involvement in local politics and community organisations. By 1892 Hardy described himself as an architect, arbitrator, valuer, house agent, and rent collector.

In 1893 Hardy squeezed a fourth and final house on to Section 22. In November the house was complete and Hardy advertised ‘To Let (early), newly-erected 12-roomed HOUSE, handsomely fitted, Graham street off High street’. The timber house was two-storied on a bluestone basement. Much of the architectural detailing was external and included Hardy’s distinctive square turret.

Although Hardy thought the house would suit a professional gentleman, it was instead taken up as a boarding house. Between 1894 and 1903 it was run first by Mrs Christie, then Mrs Peters and finally by Mrs Esther Hart. In December 1903 the house was advertised for lease but Hardy was dead by March 1904.

In 1906 the four houses on section 22 were subdivided for sale. Lot 9 was described as ‘13.2 poles, with large Residence of 13 rooms thereon, known as Kaituna House (street No. 15); also, brick corner Building and vacant Piece of Land fronting Maclaggan street’. Kaituna was purchased by Margaret, Ada, Bertha, and Louisa Collinson. They were Hardy’s nieces and had lived in neighbouring Ebbin Cottage/Clifton Villa from c.1867. In the early 1890s the Miss Collinsons had opened a private school in their home. They now opened ‘Kaituna School’ in the old boarding house. The Miss Collinsons took pupils from the primers up to standard six – all in the one room. Louisa taught the girls and Ada the boys. Bertha taught music in the small cottage and shop which sat on Maclaggan Street - at one time, Hardy’s office. Margaret did the housekeeping and cooking. In 1923 the sisters sold Kaituna and moved back into their former family home. Kaituna passed through various private hands. By 1990 the large residence had been divided into four flats and was in poor repair. In 1992 repairs were undertaken and Kaituna was saved from demolition.

Linksopen/close

Construction Professionalsopen/close

Hardy, H.F.

Henry Frederick Hardy (1831-1904).See http://www.gencircles.com/users/hardy/1/data/22

Additional informationopen/close

Construction Dates

Original Construction
1893 -

Modification
1894 -
Conversion to boarding house

Modification
1906 -
Becomes a home and private school

Restoration
1992 -
Significant repairs undertaken

Completion Date

7th March 2017

Report Written By

Susan Irvine

Information Sources

Cyclopedia of New Zealand, 1905

Cyclopedia Company, Industrial, descriptive, historical, biographical facts, figures, illustrations, Wellington, N.Z, 1897-1908, Vol. 4 Otago and Southland, Cyclopedia Company, Christchurch, 1905

Knight, 1988

Hardwicke Knight and Niel Wales, Buildings of Dunedin: An Illustrated Architectural Guide to New Zealand's Victorian City, John McIndoe, Dunedin, 1988

Otago Daily Times

Otago Daily Times

Lois Galer, ‘Curtain rises on ‘pink house’ that John built’, ODT, 13 May, 1992

Other Information

Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.

A fully referenced upgrade report is available on request from the Otago/Southland Office of Heritage New Zealand.