McCready's Building

162 Emerson St, Napier

  • McCready's Building, Napier. Image courtesy of www.flickr.com.
    Copyright: Paul Le Roy . Taken By: Paul Le Roy – Minicooperd. Date: 18/04/2016.

List Entry Information

List Entry Status Listed List Entry Type Historic Place Category 2 Public Access Private/No Public Access
List Number 4827 Date Entered 27th November 1986

Locationopen/close

City/District Council

Napier City

Region

Hawke's Bay Region

Legal description

Lot 3 DP 2324 & Pt Lot 1 DP 5204

Linksopen/close

Construction Professionalsopen/close

Angus, William McKenzie

William McKenzie Angus was born in Naseby in 1883. At age 14 he moved to Wellington to work as a blacksmith but changed to carpentry and worked in several North Island centres before coming to Napier in approximately 1907. He founded the firm W M Angus Ltd in 1923, with approximately 4-5 employees. At the time of his death in July 1968 the firm had 200 employees. His first major job in Napier, the Chief Post Office, withstood the 1931 Hawkes Bay earthquake as did the other buildings he had erected in Napier by this time. (Registration Report for the Waiapu Diocesan Office Building and Synod Hall, 2008).

Additional informationopen/close

Physical Description

Architect: E.A. Williams

Builder: W.M. Angus Ltd.

Construction Dates

Original Construction
1930 -
Stripped Classical

Other
1932 -
Reinstated

Other Information

Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.