199 Lambton Quay, Wellington
List Entry Information
List Entry Status
List Entry Type
Historic Place Category 2
Private/No Public Access
10th September 1981
Lot 2 DP 10808
Partially demolished - only façade remains up against a new tower block.
Stewart, Francis Drummond
Stewart was born at Southland and educated at Otago Boys' High School, the University of Otago and Auckland University College.
He worked initially for H McDowell Smith in Dunedin and from 1926 to 1936 he was staff architect to Fletcher Construction Company. During this time he was responsible for the Station Hotel, Auckland, Brandon House, Wellington (1931), Nimmo's Building, Wellington (1929), and in conjunction with Herbert Hall of Timaru he designed the Chateau Tongariro (1928).
He joined the Housing Department (later incorporated into the Ministry of Works) in 1937 and held various senior positions over the years. He was appointed Assistant Government Architect in 1952 and represented the Ministry and the Architectural Division at meetings of the Cabinet Works Committee. He held this position until his retirement in 1968.
Stewart was admitted as an Associate of the New Zealand Institute of Architects in 1936, and was elected a Fellow in 1958.
Demolished - Redevelopment
Partially demolished - only façade remaining.
Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.