45-49 Tainui Street, Greymouth
List Entry Information
List Entry Status
List Entry Type
Historic Place Category 2
Private/No Public Access
21st September 1989
Extent of List Entry
Extent includes the land described as Sec 85 (CT WS3B/965), Lot 1 DP 351008 (CT 209224), and Lot 3 DP 368 (CT WS3B/966), part of the land described as Pt Sec 320 Maori Reserve 31 (CT WS3B/965), part of the land described as Pt Section 320 Maori Reserve 31 (CT WS3B/966), all Westland Land District, and the building known as Revingtons Hotel thereon.
West Coast Region
Sec 85 and Pt Sec 320 Maori Reserve 31 (CT WS3B/965), Lot 1 DP 351008 (CT 209224), Lot 3 DP 368 and Pt Section 320 Maori Reserve 31 (CT WS3B/966), Westland Land District
Revingtons Hotel, built in 1938, is located in Greymouth’s central business district at 45-49 Tainui Street and is historically significant as one of the West Coast’s leading hotel establishments.
The ancestry of Revingtons Hotel can be traced to a timber hotel built on this site by John William Oliver in 1876 called the Post Office Hotel. It was taken over by Tom Jones in circa 1885. In the mid 1890s, the hotel was purchased by William Daly Revington, who added his name to its title to become ‘Revington’s Post Office Hotel’, shortened to ‘Revingtons’. Revington made large additions to the hotel building. In 1901, it was described as being ‘probably the quietest, most dignified and generally excellent establishment … [it is] far above what would be generally expected in a town the size of Greymouth’. At this time, it was a two storeyed structure with a large balcony overlooking the thoroughfare, and comprised about 25 bedrooms, as well as apartments. On the ground floor was a large dining room, billiard room, commercial room, four sitting rooms, pantry, kitchen and servants rooms. A major flood in 1936 saw waters rising high enough for the chairs in the dining room to float around. It is possible that this event led to the decision to replace the hotel a year later.
In 1938, the owners of the day, Allan and Margaret Marshall, replaced the original hotel building with a new Spanish Mission-Art Deco style building. The architects were the Christchurch firm of Collins & West. Two storeys in height and V-shaped in plan, this replacement hotel building is rendered and has a ceramic tiled roof. The main façade fronts Tainui Street and contains a central entrance leading to the hotel’s foyer, with a balcony at the centre above. Smaller doorways are located at either end of the west façade’s ground floor, and there are sash windows on both the ground and first floor above. The first floor balcony doorways are flanked by colonnades and above is applied decoration in the form of a curved pediment. The central portion of the façade protrudes from the main roof line. Original architectural drawings, dated January 1937, show the layout of the building with its near-triangular footprint. The ground floor contains a central entrance foyer, two bars, bar parlour, commercial room, lounge, dining room and kitchen. A staircase in the foyer leads to the first floor which contains 25 bedrooms.
The hotel has a long history of hosting dignitaries. Probably the most famous guests were Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh, who were photographed on 18 January 1954, waving to a large crowd from the hotel’s balcony.
A number of interior modifications have taken place in the building since it was first constructed, including renovations in 2008. On the exterior west façade, a fire escape with simple geometric metal balustrading has been removed. Lower down, overhanging the footpath, a rectangular canopy has been added at a level that obscures the upper part of the ground floor windows. While most buildings in downtown Greymouth are on Maori reserve land, Revingtons Hotel is unusual in that an auction in 2008 saw part of the land going into private ownership.
Collins & West
No biography is currently available for this construction professional
Post Office Hotel construction
Demolished - Redevelopment
Demolition of Post Office Hotel
Construction of current building
16th May 2014
Report Written By
Don Donovan, The Good Old Kiwi Pub. Saint Publishers, Auckland. 1995
Peter Kerridge, Glimpses of Greymouth and district: a 1993 record of the development of Greymouth and district over the past one hundred and twenty-five years and some of the activities and achievements of its citizens, councils and community organisations, 1868-1993, Greymouth, 1993
A fully referenced upgrade report is available on request from the Southern Regional Office of Heritage New Zealand.
Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.