Dr Colquhoun’s Residence and Consulting Rooms (Former)
218 High Street, Dunedin
List Entry Information
List Entry Status
List Entry Type
Historic Place Category 2
Private/No Public Access
19th April 1990
Extent of List Entry
Extent includes the land described as Pt Sec 43 Blk VII Town of Dunedin (CT OT292/112), Otago Land District, and the building known as Dr Colquhoun’s Residence and Consulting Rooms (Former), thereon.
Pt Sec 43 Blk VII Town of Dunedin (CT OT292/112), Otago Land District
Dr Colquhoun’s Residence and Consulting Rooms, located on a prominent corner section on High Street, represent the status of medical practitioners in nineteenth century New Zealand. The house, wrapped around an earlier residence, served as both residence and consulting rooms, and has historical, architectural, aesthetic and archaeological significance.
It is likely that the first house on this section was built by Andrew Hyslop in the early 1870s. Hyslop advertised for tenders for carpentry and joinery work for cottages on High Street in 1871 – and he leased section 43 at this time. A house was on site by 1877 – an advertisement for the lease of Section 43 notes that there was a seven roomed brick cottage occupied by Mr A. Hyslop, and also a six roomed brick cottage with bathroom, scullery and outbuildings, as well as a brick factory. Hyslop was in financial trouble at this time and forced to sell the leasehold land on High and Clark Streets.
An advertisement from 1883 gives an idea of the dwelling on site, described as a ‘substantial seven-roomed brick residence’ with outbuildings. The building was occupied by Dr Lightbourne (described as ‘late of the Confederate Army, America, and who had earlier practiced from nearby Hope Street).
When Dr Colquhoun bought the property he added to the existing dwelling. Plans show a modest six room dwelling that formed the core of the substantial and grand addition. The contractor was R. Sandiland. The additions enclosed the earlier dwelling with gabled turrets, bay windows and an extra floor.
Dr Daniel Colquhoun was born and educated in Glasgow before studying medicine at Charing Cross Hospital. He came to Dunedin in 1884, where he set up practice. He also accepted the position as lecturer on the practice of medicine at the University of Otago. He was Professor of Medicine at the University of Otago and the first editor of the New Zealand Medical Journal. He was lecturer for 30 years and was a leader of medical education and practice in New Zealand. He died in Dunedin in 1933. Fellow Professor Charles Hercus wrote that Colquhoun was ‘a physician of the old school….Always faultlessly dressed, always driven by a chauffeur, always dignified and pontifical, and frequently in a minority of one in professional discussions, he was withal a most kindly person whose influence for good permeated the whole community.’
In later years the house and medical practice was sold to Dr Moody, and later still to Dr Speight. The last doctor to practice from the residence was Dr Walter Eady in the early 1960s. After Eady sold the practice it was converted to rental accommodation by Miss J. La Hood who altered the residence. After falling into disrepair, it was restored by later owners in the 1990s. In 2016 its grand past is evident in both the interior and exterior.
Burnside, John Arthur
Burnside (1856-1920) was born in Dunedin and is believed to be one of the first professional architects who were born and trained in New Zealand.
He was articled to the architectural firm of Mason and Wales, remaining with them for two or three years. During this time he won important prizes for designs which he exhibited at international exhibitions.
In 1880 he established his own practice at Dunedin. His buildings include Transit House (1880s), Philips Hotel (now Gresham Hotel, 1882) and the Otago Early Settlers' Museum (1908).
Sandilands (d. 1923) was a Dunedin contractor active in the 1880s and 1890s. He worked with architect James Hislop on Horsburgh’s premises (1889) , and Oakden and Begg on Wright, Stephenson and Company’s High Street woolstore (1885) , and with David Ross on additions to the Moray Place Congregational Church (1887). He was a member of the Dunedin Sanitary Institute.
Probably designed and built by Andrew Hyslop
6th December 2017
Report Written By
Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand
'COLQUHOUN, Daniel', from An Encyclopaedia of New Zealand, edited by A. H. McLintock, originally published in 1966.
Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, updated 23-Apr-09
Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.
A fully referenced upgrade report is available on request from the Otago/Southland Office of Heritage New Zealand.