Berry & Co. Photographers

147 Cuba St, Wellington

  • Berry & Co. Photographers.
    Copyright: Heritage New Zealand. Taken By: Anika Klee. Date: 4/03/2009.
  • Berry & Co. Photographers. Image courtesy of www.flickr.com.
    Copyright: Minicooperd – Paul Le Roy. Taken By: Minicooperd – Paul Le Roy. Date: 19/07/2014.

List Entry Information

List Entry Status Listed List Entry Type Historic Place Category 2 Public Access Private/No Public Access
List Number 5363 Date Entered 22nd August 1991

Locationopen/close

City/District Council

Wellington City

Region

Wellington Region

Legal description

Pt Sec 154 Town of Wellington

Summaryopen/close

This historic place was registered under the Historic Places Act 1980. The following text is from the original Proposal for Classification report considered by the NZHPT Board at the time of registration.

Built 1900.

Of note for the Art Deco detail contained in the spandrels of the second storey windows.

Built as photographic studio for William Berry.

Linksopen/close

Construction Professionalsopen/close

Crichton, W

William Crichton (1862-1928) was born in England in 1862. He trained as an architect under James Hicks of Redruth, before immigrating to New Zealand in 1879. Upon his arrival he joined the Colonial Architects Office. When Crichton designed the Dunedin Police Station in 1890 he was employed by the Public Works Department. One year later, in 1891, he established his own architectural firm. The same year he won the competition for the design of the Wellington Municipal Library, and in 1901 he won second prize for the Wellington Town Hall competition.

In 1901 Crichton and James Hector McKay founded the firm Crichton and McKay. McKay had previously been in a partnership with Robert Roy MacGregor from 1898-1901. With the addition of Vivian Haughton in the 1920s the firm became Crichton, McKay & Haughton.

Other notable works by Crichton, McKay & Haughton includes the Huddart Parker Building (1923) and the Dominion Building (1926-1927) in Wellington.

Additional informationopen/close

Notable Features

Four pilasters stretching from bottom of first floor to entablature over the second floor windows, arched windows with ornamental keystones and festoons above, small Ionic columns framing second storey windows, plain parapet, Art Deco motifs decorate the leadlights

Construction Dates

Original Construction
1900 -
Commercial Italianate

Completion Date

1st August 1991

Report Written By

Mary O'Keeffe

Other Information

A copy of the original report is available from the NZHPT Central region office

Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.