Linwood Public Library (Former)

388 Worcester St And Stanmore Rd, Linwood, Christchurch

  • Linwood Public Library (Former). Original image submitted at time of registration.
    Copyright: NZHPT Field Record Form Collection. Date: 30/07/1991.

List Entry Information

List Entry Status Registered List Entry Type Historic Place Category 2
List Number 5382 Date Entered 22nd August 1991

Locationopen/close

City/District Council

Christchurch City

Region

Canterbury Region

Legal description

Pt Rural Section 30 District of Christchurch

Summaryopen/close

This historic place was registered under the Historic Places Act 1980. The following text is from the original Proposal for Classification report considered by the NZHPT Board at the time of registration.

Built 1885.

Social/Historical Significance: Associations with the Linwood Borough Council, the only surviving building relating to the era of the Borough Council.

Architectural Significance: An example of Maddison's work, a well known Christchurch architect.

Linksopen/close

Construction Professionalsopen/close

Maddison, Joseph Clarkson

Joseph Maddison (1850-1923) was born in Greenwich and came to Lyttelton in 1872. He settled in Christchurch and commenced practice as an architect.

He designed a large number of public buildings, mainly in Canterbury, including The Church of the Holy Innocents, Amberley, the Anglican Church at Port Levy, Warner's Hotel (1881) and Clarendon Hotel (1902), both in Christchurch, Government Buildings, Christchurch (1913) and numerous private residences.

Maddison was well known as an industrial architect and was responsible for the warehouses of the Kaiapoi Woollen Company. His specialty, however, was in the design of freezing works. Among his designs were the Canterbury Freezing Works, Belfast (1883) and the Mataura Freezing Works, Canterbury and he is considered to have been one of the chief exponents in this field during the late nineteeenth century.

He was admitted as a Fellow of the Royal Institute of British Architects in 1887.

Additional informationopen/close

Completion Date

1st August 1991

Report Written By

Mary O'Keeffe

A copy of the original report is available from the NZHPT Southern region office