Whangamarino Woolshed

Waitangi Wharf-Owenga Rd, Chatham Island

  • Whangamarino Woolshed.
    Copyright: NZ Historic Places Trust. Taken By: Alison Dangerfield. Date: 1/04/2008.

List Entry Information

List Entry Status Listed List Entry Type Historic Place Category 2 Public Access Private/No Public Access
List Number 5396 Date Entered 19th September 1991

Locationopen/close

City/District Council

Chatham Islands

Region

Chatham Islands

Summaryopen/close

This historic place was registered under the Historic Places Act 1980. The following text is from the original Proposal for Classification report considered by the NZHPT Board at the time of registration.

Built in 1870, this is one of the two oldest woolsheds on Chatham Island still in use. It is a visible association with its builders, F Cox and Alexander Shand, two of the Chathams' best-known 19th century European citizens. In its setting it has landscape significance, located on wide flat paddocks, and being visible from Waitangi. Local timbers have been used in the construction, some in their rough form; however, this method of construction is noted in other woolsheds on the mainland.

Linksopen/close

Additional informationopen/close

Construction Dates

Original Construction
1870 -

Completion Date

19th September 1991

Report Written By

Mary O'keeffe

Other Information

A copy of the original report is available from the NZHPT Central region office

Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.