175-177 Main Street, Cobblestone Museum, Greytown
List Entry Information
List Entry Status
List Entry Type
Historic Place Category 2
Private/No Public Access
26th August 1993
South Wairarapa District
This historic place was registered under the Historic Places Act 1980. The following text is from the original Proposal for Classification report considered by the NZHPT Board at the time of registration.
This school was originally located at Mangapakeha on Castlepoint Rd, Wairarapa, but has been relocated to the Cobblestones Museum complex, Main St, Greytown.
The exact date of construction is not known, but it is known that the school opened in 1902. The school is a small rectangular building with gabled roof, with a large school room, and a small lean-to front vestibule. The original central cast iron stove has been removed. The design of the school suggests a transition from the small school room of the 19th century usually a small rectangle with a minimum of windows, to the new approach of the 1920s which were known as the "Taranaki and Canterbury open air type". These were still rectangular, but had a larger floor space and much larger windows for greater light and ventilation The Mangapakeha school is an earlier building, but has four large double hung casement windows with glazing bars.
The exact date of construction is not known but it is known that the school opened in 1902.
Original cast iron stove removed
A copy of the original report is available from the NZHPT Central region office
Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.