Homewood

Pukekura Road, Katikati

  • Homewood.
    Copyright: NZ Historic Places Trust. Taken By: S Arabin. Date: 5/08/2003.

List Entry Information

List Entry Status Listed List Entry Type Historic Place Category 2 Public Access Private/No Public Access
List Number 5411 Date Entered 20th February 1992

Locationopen/close

City/District Council

Western Bay of Plenty District

Region

Bay of Plenty Region

Summaryopen/close

This historic place was registered under the Historic Places Act 1980. This report includes the text from the original Proposal for Classification report considered by the NZHPT Board at the time of registration.

This house constructed by Dr Thomas Fletcher, who was one of the early settlers in the Katikati District. Fletcher bought some land, built the house in c.1876 on the property, and farmed until his death in 1899, and his wife continued to live in the house with her son until 1909. About 1915 George Alley bought the property. He was also a prominent local citizen and philanthropist, pioneering the use of fertilizers, establishing many local men in businesses and was responsible for many philanthropic works. The house is built of pit sawn kauri in an L shape, and is one of the few remaining houses in Katikati built by settlers and still lived in today.

Linksopen/close

Additional informationopen/close

Construction Dates

Original Construction
1876 -

Completion Date

5th February 1992

Report Written By

Mary O'Keeffe

Other Information

A copy of the original report is available from the NZHPT Northern region office

Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.