House - The Pah
170 Egmont Street, Patea
List Entry Information
List Entry Status
List Entry Type
Historic Place Category 2
Private/No Public Access
24th February 1994
South Taranaki District
This historic place was registered under the Historic Places Act 1993. This report includes text from the original Proposal for Classification considered by the NZHPT Board at the time of registration.
The Pah was built for John Gibson (1841-1915) who was prominent in the commercial and public affairs of Patea. He was an inaugural member of the Patea Borough Council and was Mayor of Patea in 1889.
The Pah is an example of a sizeable late Victorian/early Edwardian bay villa. Interesting architectural elements include the variety of window hoods and the decorative treatment of the gable ends.
A copy of the original report is available from the NZHPT Central region office
Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.