Princes St, Hawera
List Entry Information
List Entry Status
List Entry Type
Historic Place Category 2
Able to Visit
28th October 1993
South Taranaki District
The following text is from the original Proposal for Classification presented to the Board 27 October 1993.
The Memorial Arch, Hawera is a bold example of a triumphal arch with classical revival detailing. The memorial was erected to commemorate those who fell in World War One from the Hawera District. It was built in 1924 to the design of Duffel and Gibson, using Oamaru Stone, grey granite and Takaka marble and was unveiled on 11 June 1924 by Rt. Hon. W F Massey P.C LLD. It was built from publicly subscribed funds totalling £2542.00.
A plaque was added in 1945 to commemorate those who fell during World War Two. It is a prominent landmark in Hawera and comprises favourably with the Stratford Memorial Arch.
Duffill & Gibson
No biography is currently available for this construction professional
Builders: Walpole & Patterson
Unveiled 11 June 1924 to commemorate those who fell during WWI.
Plaque added to commemorate those who fell during WWII
Reinforced concrete faced with Oamaru stone, grey granite and Takaka marble
Chris MacLean and Jock Phillips, The Sorrow and the Pride: New Zealand War Memorials, Wellington, 1990
A copy of the original report is available from the NZHPT Central region office
Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.