St Mary's Convent Chapel
47 Clyde St, Hamilton East, Hamilton
List Entry Information
List Entry Status
List Entry Type
Historic Place Category 2
Private/No Public Access
25th February 1993
Lot 15 DP 13926
The following text is from the original Proposal for Classification presented to the Board 25 Feb 1993.
The chapel was built in 1926 for the Sisters of Our Lady of the Missions, and is located within the convent environs. It is a simple rectangular plan, with exterior plastered brickwork, and a steeply sloping tiled gable roof. It has high architectural quality, and has some fine interior features, including arches of imported Italian stone, and a stained glass window. The chapel was designed by J E Chitty, and reveals the influence of Cecil Wood, for whom Chitty worked between 1908-12. It has been used for a variety of religious purposes, including use by the Sisters, the local schools and parishes.
A copy of the original report is available from the NZHPT Northern Region office
Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.