Lakeside House

175 Lakeside Ridge Road And 163 Leeston-Taumutu Road, Leeston

  • Lakeside House.
    Copyright: NZ Historic Places Trust. Taken By: Melanie Lovell-Smith. Date: 20/02/2002.

List Entry Information

List Entry Status Listed List Entry Type Historic Place Category 2 Public Access Private/No Public Access
List Number 5471 Date Entered 1st July 1993

Locationopen/close

City/District Council

Selwyn District

Region

Canterbury Region

Legal description

RS 7614 (CT CB24B/385), Canterbury Land District

Summaryopen/close

This house was built for James Hogg MacPherson and his family who arrived in the district in 1870. The MacPhersons were Irish, from County Derry, and had been living in Auckland for a number of years before moving to Canterbury. The house has remained in the ownership of the McPherson family (the spelling of the family's name changed around 1916) since then, although it has been leased to other people for many years.

Lakeside House is interesting in that its decorative elements are Carpenter Gothic in style, but the house is built in concrete, an unusual combination. The house has a first-storey balcony, steep gabled roofs and the decorated barge boards, (described as being of 'virile design' by J.A. Hendry), all of which are typical of the Carpenter Gothic style.

Carpenter Gothic arose from the nineteenth century Gothic revival which had stimulated an interest in the use of gables and decorated barge boards. It became a popular style for wooden houses built in New England during the nineteenth century and the popularisation of Carpenter Gothic was helped by the invention of the steam powered scroll saw, which made the cutting out of the elaborate bargeboards less laborious. Pattern books, such as those written by Andrew Jackson Downing in 1842 and 1850, also helped to spread the style. Generally the American Carpenter Gothic houses were constructed from timber. However, there were a few built in stone with decorative timber barge boards. In New Zealand the earliest Carpenter Gothic houses were a group in Nelson, designed by a local architect, William Beatson and some of these were constructed in cob. By 1860 there were a number of good houses in this style in New Zealand; Highwic, in Auckland, being one of the best-known New Zealand examples of Carpernter Gothic.

Lakeside House is significant for its unusual concrete construction and Carpenter Gothic trimmings. The long association of the McPherson family with the property is also of local interest.

Linksopen/close

Additional informationopen/close

Construction Dates

Original Construction
1875 -

Completion Date

6th December 2001

Report Written By

Melanie Lovell-Smith

Information Sources

Hendry, 1968

J.A. Hendry (text) and A.J. Mair (drawings), Homes of the Pioneers, Christchurch, 1968.

p.43

McArdle, 1978

Alma de C. McArdle & Deidre Bartlett McArdle, 'Carpenter Gothic : Nineteenth-century Ornamented Houses of New England', New York, 1978.

Salmond, 1986

Jeremy Salmond, Old New Zealand Houses 1800-1940, Auckland, 1986, Reed Methuen

pp.83-84

Other Information

The house and garden are open for tours on request.

Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.