St Stephen's Church (Anglican)
58 Paikea Street, Te Araroa
List Entry Information
List Entry Status
List Entry Type
Historic Place Category 2
Private/No Public Access
1st July 1993
Orangai ML 657, Gisborne Land District
Located adjacent to Hinerupe Marae, Te Araroa.
The following text is from the original Proposal for Classification report presented to the Board 1 July 1993.
St Stephens Church is one of the few buildings of significance in the historic township of Te Araroa. This is the third church to be built on the site (also a probable Maori burial site) forming an ongoing site of religious worship dating back to the time of missionary George Kissling who built the first St Stephen's in 1842. The present church was completed in 1918.
The architectural quality of St Stephen's has been much compromised by the removal of the bell tower and loss of glass from the altar window. St Stephen's has a comparative architectural quality to other churches in the Gisborne region.
A copy of the original report is available from the NZHPT Northern region office
Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.