Bankton

493 Remuera Road, Remuera, Auckland

  • Bankton, Remuera Road, Auckand.
    Copyright: NZ Historic Places Trust.

List Entry Information

List Entry Status Listed List Entry Type Historic Place Category 2 Public Access Private/No Public Access
List Number 566 Date Entered 26th November 1981

Locationopen/close

Extent of List Entry

Extent includes the land described as Lots 2‐3 DP 10279 (CT NA244/73) North Auckland Land District, and the building and structures known as Bankton thereon.

City/District Council

Auckland Council (Auckland City Council)

Region

Auckland Council

Legal description

Lots 2‐3 DP 10279 (CT NA244/73), North Auckland Land District

Summaryopen/close

Built in 1916 to the designs of architect Roy Keith Binney (1886-1957), Bankton house is a mixture of Neo-Georgian and Arts and Crafts styles and was heavily influenced by the eminent English architect Sir Edwin Lutyens, under whom Binney studied in England. It was probably Binney’s last design in Auckland before he left the country to fight in the First World War (1914-18) and is significant in that, along with Guisnes Court opposite which was also designed by Binney, it helped bring the Arts and Crafts style into the domestic mainstream, whilst also maintaining Remuera’s reputation as one of the city’s most fashionably built suburbs. Binney is considered important for influencing a whole generation of Auckland architects and for ‘bringing to the city’s domestic architecture a greater sense of style than had previously been evident.’ He consciously designed in an English style, at a time when ties between New Zealand and Britain were strengthening during the First World War.

Remuera has been associated with the settlement of rich and successful Aucklanders since the middle of the nineteenth century. From about 1900, the palatial houses of the richest settlers of the 1800s made room for the smaller, but grander townhouses of the city’s commercial or industrial elite. The development of the site to an urban environment started in 1879 with the acquisition of large allotments in the area, amounting to over four acres. A small part of this land was acquired by Anne Lesley Cramond in 1915 and R. K. Binney, recently returned from working under the architect Sir Edwin Lutyens in Europe, was commissioned to design a house for the site.

Lutyens’ influence can be seen in Binney’s design of Bankton; it particularly echoes Lutyens’ 1901 creation of Homewood House in Hertfordshire, England. The soaring roof planes clad with Marseilles tiles, red-brick chimneys and contrasting white painted timber exterior walls are of the English Arts and Crafts style, giving a country cottage quality to the building; however, much of the fenestration, such as the large, multi-pane, double-hung sash windows, is of Neo-Georgian styling. Both styles are an indication of Lutyens’ influence. The projecting front veranda and the distinctive Binney-designed vertical windows of the stairway firmly place this building in the twentieth century. The interior was comprised of around eleven rooms; about half of the ground floor space was taken up with an open-plan living room with connected lining room. There was originally space provided to house a butler and a maid. Work was completed in 1916 by another notable and up-and-coming Auckland architect, Horace Massey, after Binney had left for war service. Massey was awarded four New Zealand Institute of Architecture (NZIA) gold medals for his subsequent work, and also became a president of the NZIA.

After Anne Cramond’s death in 1932, the house passed through the hands of several owners. Later owners included a doctor and a dentist and there are indications that they based their practices here. Interior and minor exterior alterations occurred in the 1970s. In the late 1990s a new garage and ornamental gazebo were constructed. 2014 saw an application for Building Consent to conserve parts of the building. The house remains in use as a private dwelling.

Linksopen/close

Construction Professionalsopen/close

Roy Binney

No biography is currently available for this construction professional

Additional informationopen/close

Construction Dates

Original Construction
1916 -

Modification
-
Minor alterations to convert some ground floor areas for use as a doctor’s, then a dentist’s practice.

Modification
1970 -
Interior alterations to kitchen and former ‘maid’s’ bedroom.

Modification
1971 -
Separate upstairs bathroom and toilet converted into two separate combined bathroom/toilets.

Other
1971 -
Swimming pool is added to the garden.

Additional building added to site
1998 -
New garage building is constructed along the southeastern

Additional building added to site
1999 -
Ornamental gazebo is built on the front lawn.

Completion Date

5th June 2015

Report Written By

Andrew Winter

Information Sources

Shaw, 1991

Peter Shaw, New Zealand Architecture: From Polynesian Beginnings to 1990, Auckland, 1991

Carlyon and Morrow, 2011

Carlyon, Jenny, and Diana Morrow, A Fine Prospect: A History of Remuera, Meadowbank and St Johns, Auckland, 2011.

New Zealand Architectural Review

Roy Binney, ‘In New Zealand - The English Tradition: Some Houses Designed by R.K. Binney’, Architectural Review 61, May 1927, pp. 172-6.

Stacpoole, 2013

Stacpoole, John, 'Binney, Roy Keith', from the Dictionary of New Zealand Biography, Te Ara -the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, updated 5-..Jun-2013 (URL: http://www.teara.govt.nz/en/biographies/4b32/binney-roy-keith.)

Other Information

Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.

A fully referenced upgrade report is available on request from the Northern Region Office of Heritage New Zealand