310 Springfield Road, Napier

  • Pa, Napier.
    Copyright: Heritage New Zealand. Taken By: David Rudd. Date: 1/04/2014.
  • Pa. Plan from Archaeological Site Land Title Form.
    Copyright: Heritage New Zealand.

List Entry Information

List Entry Status Listed List Entry Type Historic Place Category 2 Public Access Private/No Public Access
List Number 6420 Date Entered 8th July 1985


Extent of List Entry

Extent includes part of the land described as Area W on Lot 2 DP 430264 (CT 517758), Hawke’s Bay Land District, and the archaeological site known as Pa (V21/123) thereon. Refer to the extent map tabled at the Heritage New Zealand Board meeting on 25 June 2015.

City/District Council

Hastings District


Hawke's Bay Region

Legal description

Area W on Lot 2 DP 430264 (CT 517758), Hawke’s Bay Land District


New Zealand Heritage List site no. 6420 (NZAA site V21/123) is a small pa on farmland on the east side of Springfield Road, located to the west of Taradale and northeast of Waiohiki. The pa has cultural, traditional and historical significance and is one of a series of archaeological sites on the high ground above the terrace of the Tutaekuri River. Two other pa sites lie to the north and south respectively of pa V21/123. These sites are all on the western side of the hills where they have elevated views of the surrounding landscape and have utilised the natural defences of the topography.

While pa V21/123 is not rare it has important archaeological contextual and information value as an element of Māori occupation and settlement of the inland Tutaekuri River valley area. This settlement pattern is directly related to the resources and attributes of the Tutaekuri River. The river carries silt and gravel down a narrow valley through low hill country. In its natural state swamps on the river terrace would have absorbed floodwaters and served to provide eels and other resources to sustain the nearby settlements. The pits on the pa indicate that iwi were also gardening the fertile soil of the area and storing their produce within the protective perimeter of the pa defences. The need to protect these crops suggests they were built during a time of conflict, or in preparation for conflict.

While the date of initial construction for the pa has not yet been determined it may have been constructed during a period of widespread pa building and occupation that was undertaken in the vicinity of Te Whanganui-a-Orotu and the Tutaekuri area from 1550 to 1700, around the time that Ngati Kahungunu iwi moved into the Hawkes’s Bay. Archaeological evidence and Maori oral history points to the initial settlement of Hawke’s Bay around 1250–1300 AD. Different hapu gradually settled the area from Mahia to Porangahau in a variety of diverse landscapes. About 1550 to 1625, Taraia, great grandson of Kahungunu, and his followers established themselves at Otatara, to the south of pa V21/123, to secure access to and control over Te Whanganui-a-Orotu and the Tutaekuri River.

The pa is on a low flat-topped knoll, approximately 30 metres above the flat, west of the yards of Springfield Station. The pa has a well-defined defensive scarp 120 paces along the northeast side. There are two terraces on the south west side. The site is in fair condition however at the northwest end the only indication of the former ditch is a shallow depression. The six pits within the perimeter of the site have all been in-filled.

At this point in time the pa has not been identified with a specific Maori name nor is there currently access to korero for this site.


Additional informationopen/close

Construction Dates

Public NZAA Number


Completion Date

28th May 2015

Report Written By

Christine Barnett

Other Information

Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.

A fully referenced upgrade report is available on request from the Central Region Office of Heritage New Zealand