St Luke's Church (Anglican)

704 New North Road, Mt Albert, Auckland

  • St Luke's Church (Anglican).
    Copyright: NZ Historic Places Trust. Taken By: Martin Jones. Date: 7/11/2009.
  • .
    Copyright: NZ Historic Places Trust. Taken By: Martin Jones. Date: 7/11/2009.
  • .
    Copyright: NZ Historic Places Trust. Taken By: Martin Jones. Date: 7/11/2009.

List Entry Information

List Entry Status Registered List Entry Type Historic Place Category 2
List Number 681 Date Entered 7th April 1983

Locationopen/close

City/District Council

Auckland Council (Auckland City Council)

Region

Auckland Region

Legal description

Pt Allot 170 Parish of Waitemata,Pt Lot 85 DP 384

Linksopen/close

Construction Professionalsopen/close

Burrows, Pierre Finch Martineau

Burrows was born in Norwich, England, and arrived in New Zealand about 1863. He began working under W H Clayton in the Colonial Architect's Office in 1874 and became Chief Draughtsman in 1875. When Clayton died, Burrows took over his duties, but he did not receive a designation of Colonial Architect.

Burrow's most important buildings include the Post Office at Christchurch (1877), the Supreme Court House, Wellington (1879), and the Mount Eden Prison (begun 1883). He was also responsible for a number of smaller post offices and courthouses. His brother Arthur Washington Burrows was also an architect, practising in Auckland and Tauranga.