Kerikeri Basin Historic Area

Kerikeri Road, Landing Road, Kemp Road, Kerikeri

  • Kerikeri Basin Historic Area taken from a drone. Stone Store - left. Kerikeri Mission House (aka Kemp House) - right and St James' Church - back middle.
    Copyright: Heritage New Zealand. Taken By: Grant Sheehan. Date: 7/02/2017.
  • Kerikeri Basin Historic Area. Stone Store and Kerikeri Mission House (aka Kemp House) 2010 in the foreground and St James' Church in the rear.
    Copyright: Heritage New Zealand.
  • Kerikeri Basin Historic Area. Stone Store - left and Kerikeri Mission House (aka Kemp House) right.
    Copyright: Heritage New Zealand. Taken By: Grant Sheehan. Date: 7/02/2017.
  • Kerikeri Basin Historic Area. St James' Church.
    Copyright: Heritage New Zealand. Taken By: Grant Sheehan. Date: 7/02/2017.

List Entry Information

List Entry Status Listed List Entry Type Historic Area Public Access Able to Visit
List Number 7000 Date Entered 11th July 1986

Locationopen/close

Extent of List Entry

Registration includes Kemp House, Stone Store, St James Church, and Kemp Tearoom Properties, recorded archaeological sites Kororipo (Te Waho o te Riri), Traditional site, burial area; caves now closed; Rewa's Village shell midden and land described as Lot 1 DP 44183 (Kororipo Pa Historic Reserve); Lot 2 DP 65137 (NZ Gazette 1983 p. 863); Lot 4 DP 65137 (NA56B/153; NZ Gazette 1983 p. 863); Lot 5 DP 65137 (NZ Gazette 1986 p 1901); Lot 6 DP 65137 (NA56B/155; NZ Gazette 1983 p 3335); Lot 7 DP 65137 (NA21B/1206; NZ Gazette 1983 p 863); Lot 8 DP 65137 (NA21B/1207; NZ Gazette 1983 p 863); Lot 9 DP 65137 (NA21B/1208; NZ Gazette 1983 p 863); Lot 10 DP 65137 (NA21B/1209; NZ Gazette 1983 p 863); Lot 11 DP 65137 (NA21B/1210; NZ Gazette 1983 p 863); Lot 12 DP 65137 (NA21B/1211; NZ Gazette 1983 p 863); Lot 13 DP 65137 (NA21B/1212; NZ Gazette 1983 p 863); Lot 14 DP 65137 (NA21B/1213; NZ Gazette 1983 p 863); Lot 15 DP 65137 (NA21B/1214; NZ Gazette 1983 p 863); Lot 16 DP 65137 (NA21B/1215; NZ Gazette 1983 p 863); Lot 17 DP 65137 (NA21B/1216; NZ Gazette 1983 p 863); Lot 18 DP 65137 (NA21B/1217; NZ Gazette 1983 p 863); Part of the land described as Lot 4 DP 319869 (CT 78271; NZ Gazette 1983 p 863 NZ Gazette 2003 p 1292 as shown on the Extent of Registration Map; Lots 52-59 DP 65137 (NZ Gazette 1983 p 863); Lot 107 DP 65137 (NA21B/1226; NZ Gazette 1983 p 863); Lot 108 DP 65137 NA21B/1227; NZ Gazette 1983 p 863); Lot 1 DP 23664 (NA655/242; NZ Gazette 1979 p 1758); Lot 2 DP 79325 (NA36A/1006; NZ Gazette 1976 p 2614); Pt Lot 1 DP 29562 (NA35B/34; NZ Gazette 1979 p 1758); Lot 1 DP 32468 (NA35B/34); Pt Lot 2 DP 29562 (NA836/15); Lot 3 DP 90609 (Local Purpose Reserve (Esplanade)); Lot 14 DP 43386 (Esplanade Reserve); Lot 3 DP 67101 (Esplanade Reserve); Pt OLC 39 (NA1592/100); Lots 10-11 DP 28561 (NA711/122; Revested in the Crown); Pt Lot 9 DP 28561 (Revested in the Crown); Pt OLC 39 (NZ Gazette 1994 p 3662; NZ Gazette 1994 p 3443); Lot 50 DP 25140 (NZ Gazette 1974 p 2494); Crown Recreation, Road and Esplanade Reserve, all North Auckland Land District. Includes Kemp House; Stone Store; St James' Church; Kemp Tearooms; with Koropiro and other Crown land and reserve facing onto the Kerikeri Basin.

City/District Council

Far North District

Region

Northland Region

Legal description

Lot 1 DP 44183 (Kororipo Pa Historic Reserve); Lot 2 DP 65137 (NZ Gazette 1983 p. 863); Lot 4 DP 65137 (NA56B/153; NZ Gazette 1983 p. 863); Lot 5 DP 65137 (NZ Gazette 1986 p 1901);

Lot 6 DP 65137 (NA56B/155; NZ Gazette 1983 p 3335); Lot 7 DP 65137 (NA21B/1206; NZ Gazette 1983 p 863); Lot 8 DP 65137 (NA21B/1207; NZ Gazette 1983 p 863); Lot 9 DP 65137 (NA21B/1208; NZ Gazette 1983 p 863); Lot 10 DP 65137 (NA21B/1209; NZ Gazette 1983 p 863); Lot 11 DP 65137 (NA21B/1210; NZ Gazette 1983 p 863); Lot 12 DP 65137 (NA21B/1211; NZ Gazette 1983 p 863); Lot 13 DP 65137 (NA21B/1212; NZ Gazette 1983 p 863); Lot 14 DP 65137 (NA21B/1213; NZ Gazette 1983 p 863); Lot 15 DP 65137 (NA21B/1214; NZ Gazette 1983 p 863); Lot 16 DP 65137 (NA21B/1215; NZ Gazette 1983 p 863); Lot 17 DP 65137 (NA21B/1216; NZ Gazette 1983 p 863); Lot 18 DP 65137 (NA21B/1217; NZ Gazette 1983 p 863); Lot 4 DP 319869 (CT 78271; NZ Gazette 1983 p 863; NZ Gazette 2003 p 1292); Lots 52-59 DP 65137 (NZ Gazette 1983 p 863); Lot 107 DP 65137 (NA21B/1226; NZ Gazette 1983 p 863); Lot 108 DP 65137 NA21B/1227; NZ Gazette 1983 p 863); Lot 1 DP 23664 (NA655/242; NZ Gazette 1979 p 1758); Lot 2 DP 79325 (NA36A/1006; NZ Gazette 1976 p 2614); Pt Lot 1 DP 29562 (NA35B/34; NZ Gazette 1979 p 1758); Lot 1 DP 32468 (NA35B/34); Pt Lot 2 DP 29562 (NA836/15); Lot 3 DP 90609 (Local Purpose Reserve (Esplanade)); Lot 14 DP 43386 (Esplanade Reserve); Lot 3 DP 67101 (Esplanade Reserve); Pt OLC 39 (NA1592/100); Lots 10-11 DP 28561 (NA711/122; Revested in the Crown); Pt Lot 9 DP 28561 (Revested in the Crown); Pt OLC 39 (NZ Gazette 1994 p 3662; NZ Gazette 1994 p 3443); Lot 50 DP 25140 (NZ Gazette 1974 p 2494); Crown Recreation, Road and Esplanade Reserve, all North Auckland Land District.

Summaryopen/close

This Historic Area was registered under the Historic Places Act 1980 and reconfirmed under the Historic Places Act 1993. The text below is from the original report BCC 197/1986 considered by the NZHPT Board at the time of registration.

The Kerikeri Basin Historic Area, around the tidal inlet, incorporates historic buildings, archaeological sites and interpretations and open space. This is a cradle of historic significance and survival in the highest national category. It lies in a landscape context of great scenic interest. It is a topographic, visual, and historical entity.

The Kemp House is the oldest surviving European timber building, built 1821-22. It is owed and managed by the Historic Places Trust. A curator's house, built in the 1970s, lies behind, in the style and on the site of a barn which existed from around 1840. The Stone Store, the oldest surviving European stone building, built 1832-35, is owned by the Trust and leased as a store. The Kemp House and Stone Store were part of the Church Missionary Society Kerikeri station, which was established in 1819.

Historic Maori occupation is evident by Kororipo, a rehabilitated archaeological site - an easily appreciated and accessible defended pa - and by midden deposits in the Rewa's Village area. Rewa's Village is a reconstructed pre-European village site. A modern house is also on the property. North of the river west of the rapids is an area of stone outcrops with caves known to have been used for burial.

St James' Church (Anglican) was built in 1878 and enlarged In 1963. A church hall was added adjacent in the 1980s. The existing house (tea rooms) on the Kemp property was built in the 1930s, replacing a rambling dwelling then 60 years old. There are public toilet facilities at the carpark on the north side of the river.

Historic Landscape:

Apart from the buildings described, none exists in the proposed conservation area. This largely undeveloped landscape setting of the Kerikeri Basin is essential to its integrity as an historic area. The existing vehicular road and bridge seriously detract from this. It is anticipated that, in the long term, alternative roading and bridging will allow the establishment of a pedestrian precinct.

Linksopen/close

Additional informationopen/close

Construction Dates

Public NZAA Number

P5/15

P5/16

N11/501

Other Information

The Kerikeri Basin Historic Area is part of a cultural site considered to be a high priority for immediate world heritage listing and which has been included on New Zealand's Tentative World Heritage List.

Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.