Oriental Parade Historic Area

Oriental Parade, Wellington

  • Oriental Parade Historic Area.
    Copyright: NZ Historic Places Trust. Taken By: Anika Klee. Date: 3/04/2009.
  • 190 Oriental Parade.
    Copyright: www.cepolina.com.
  • .
    Copyright: www.cepolina.com.

List Entry Information

List Entry Status Listed List Entry Type Historic Area Public Access Private/No Public Access
List Number 7039 Date Entered 21st November 1991

Locationopen/close

Extent of List Entry

Includes houses from 188-200 Oriental Parade.

City/District Council

Wellington City

Region

Wellington Region

Summaryopen/close

This historic area was registered under the Historic Places Act 1980. The following text is from the original Proposal for Classification report considered by the NZHPT Board at the time of registration.

The precinct includes those properties along Oriental Parade, Wellington, from and including no's 188 to 200. The houses which make up this precinct were all built in 1906, and designed by Joshua Charlesworth, a prominent Wellington architect. They are all two storied Edwardian gentleman's houses, and have very great townscape and visual appeal. One has been significantly modified but the precinct's quality and scale is still maintained.

Linksopen/close

Construction Professionalsopen/close

Charlesworth, Joshua

Charlesworth (1861-1925) was born in Yorkshire and the first record of his practice in Wellington was in the New Zealand Post Office Directory of 1885-87.

He won a competition for the design of the Home for the Aged and Needy in June, 1887, and in the same year won another for the design of the Nelson Town Hall. Charlesworth set up practice in Wellington in his early twenties, designing many institutional buildings and showing command of the revival styles of architecture.

His work includes the Wellington Town Hall (1901), Brancepeth Station Homestead addition, Wairarapa (1905), Te Aro Post Office (1908), St Hilda's Church, Upper Hutt (1909), and seventeen branch banks for the Bank of New Zealand, situated throughout the country (1907-17).

Charlesworth was elected a Fellow of the New Zealand Institute of Architects in 1905, and became a life member of the Institute. He was its vice-president in 1909-10, and was the first chairman of a society of architects which was formed in 1912. Charlesworth also belonged to the Yorkshire Society in Wellington and was its president for many years.

Additional informationopen/close

Construction Dates

Original Construction
1906 -

Completion Date

21st November 1991

Report Written By

Mary O'Keeffe

Other Information

A copy of the original report is available from the NZHPT Central region office

Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.

Historic Area Place Name

House