2 - 6 Ariki Street, New Plymouth
List Entry Information
List Entry Status
List Entry Type
Historic Place Category 1
Able to Visit
26th August 1993
New Plymouth District
Richmond Cottage was built in 1854 for the Richmond/Atkinson families. Various members of these families, who were related by intermarriage, emigrated from England in 1853, arriving in New Plymouth and settling there.
In 1853 the families purchased a block of land outside New Plymouth, which they named Hurworth, and began clearing.
In 1854 the families built Richmond Cottage as a 'town house' in New Plymouth, and it was originally known as Beach Cottage due to its then seaside location. The house on the Hurworth block, also called 'Hurworth' was built on the cleared land in 1855-56.
Although the architect for Richmond Cottage is not known, it may have been designed by Henry Richmond and Arthur Atkinson. It is known that they were responsible for the cottage's woodwork, which was rimu.
Historical Significance or Value
Richmond Cottage has strong connections with one of the early pioneering families in New Plymouth, the Richmond-Atkinsons. It represents an early pioneering cottage, and members of the family assisted in its construction.
Although simple in form and design, Richmond Cottage is typical of a residence of the early Taranaki settlers. It is unusual for its stone construction.
The cottage is now located in a garden setting within a reserve which enhances its visual appeal. The reserve is significant in that it was created to commemorate the 150th anniversary of the landing of the first settlers.
Richmond Cottage is a simple rectangular three-roomed cottage with a gable roof and verandah. Three sets of french doors open onto the verandah. The cottage is constructed of local stone, including the chimneys at each end of the building.
Cottage shifted from St Aubyn St to present site. Cottage reconstructed exactly as original. (Stone blocks numbered and repositioned in original position.) Corrugated iron roof replaced with stone shingles.
Stone walls and chimneys
Frances Porter (ed), Historic Buildings of Dunedin, South Island, Methuen, Auckland, 1983.
This historic place was registered under the Historic Places Act 1980. This report includes the text from the original Proposal for Classification report considered by the NZHPT Board at the time of registration.
Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.