Bank of New Zealand
73 Princes St, Hawera
List Entry Information
List Entry Status
List Entry Type
Historic Place Category 2
Private/No Public Access
17th December 1993
South Taranaki District
This historic place was registered under the Historic Places Act 1980. The following text is from the original Building Classification Committee report considered by the NZHPT Board at the time of registration.
An agency of the BNZ has operated at Hawera since 1877 and this earlier building was replaced by the present one in 1925. The later building reflects confidence in the continued economic growth of this town. It was designed by New Plymouth architect T.H Bates and is a post-Edwardian Classical building which takes its inspiration from the Renaissance. It follows the Classical tradition of BNZ architecture, is suited to its function as a banking establishment and is located in a group of classified commercial buildings which together have a precinctual quality.
Bates, Thomas Herbert
No biography is currently available for this construction professional
A copy of the original report is available from the NZHPT Central region office
Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.