Te Araroa Hospital (Former)
4171 Te Araroa Road (State Highway 35), Te Araroa
List Entry Information
List Entry Status
List Entry Type
Historic Place Category 2
Private/No Public Access
17th December 1993
Lot 2 DP 6783 (CT GS4D/73), Gisborne Land District
This historic place was registered under the Historic Places Act 1980. This report includes the text from the original Proposal for Classification report considered by the NZHPT Board at the time of registration.
Te Araroa Hospital was built in 1928-29. It is of a domestic scale and is an example of a Transitional Californian bungalow, combining bungalow cosmetics with traditional villa elements. The identity of the architect is not known. The original hospital appearance has been restored and the building is well maintained. It operated as a hospital for only three years before financial difficulties led to its closure. Since this time it has seen public use in a variety of situations including as a mission house (1933-41), headquarters of the homeguard (1942-45), doctor's residence (1945-67), holiday
home (1967-69) and depot of the Ministry of Works (1969-79). As a result the building is of local historical significance.
1928 - 1929
A copy of the original report is available from the NZHPT Northern region office
Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.