2 Chapman Street And High Street, Leeston
List Entry Information
List Entry Status
List Entry Type
Historic Place Category 2
Private/No Public Access
17th December 1993
Extent of List Entry
Extent includes the land described as Pt Lot 1 DP 13004 (CT CB2C/1466), Canterbury Land District, and the building known as House thereon, and its fittings and fixtures.
Pt Lot 1 DP 13004 (CT CB2C/1466), Canterbury Land District
This wooden house was built for a local doctor, Henry Chapman, and designed by William Armson in 1877. Armson is better known for his commercial buildings in Christchurch and this is possibly the only surviving example of his domestic work.
After Chapman's departure a number of other doctors lived and worked in this house, until Mr J. A. Scott purchased it in 1946. It is significant therefore as a rare example of Armson's domestic work and, locally, because of its long association with the community's doctors.
Armson, William Barnett
Armson (1832/3?-83) was born in England and emigrated to New Zealand with his family in around 1852. They shifted to Australia two years later and settled in Melbourne. Here Armson was articled to the architectural and civil engineering firm of Purchas and Swyer for a period of six years. He was trained in architecture, engineering and surveying.
Armson returned to New Zealand in 1862 during the Otago gold rushes. He was appointed architectural draughtsman in the Provincial Engineer's Department and was soon promoted to Assistant Architect. Made redundant in 1864, Armson practised in Dunedin before superiving construction of St Luke's Church at Oamaru in 1865.
Armson moved to Hokitika in 1866 and practised on his own account, designing a wide variety of buildings. These include bank branch offices in towns around the West Coast, and the Hokitika Town Hall (1869).
He moved to Christchurch in 1870 and it was here that he prospered as an architect. His buildings include the former Public Library (1875), the Bank of New Zealand, Lyttelton (1878), the Bank of New Zealand, Princes Street, Dunedin (1879), Christchurch Girls' High School (1880), St Mary's Church, Timaru (1880) as well as many shops and offices.
From 1870 until his death, Armson was unrivalled as a commercial architect in Christchurch. He was also known for his professionalism and in 1872 was one of the founding members of the Canterbury Association of Architects. The practice founded by Armson in 1870 continued as Collins Architects Limited.
Original shed (right side corner of property from Chapman Road), water tower and oak trees around border of property
Surgery unit & stables removed
New garage added
15th August 2001
Report Written By
Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.