Bluestone House

40 Maltby Avenue, West End, Timaru

  • Bluestone House. 1993.
    Copyright: NZ Historic Places Trust. Taken By: Arthur Newbitt.

List Entry Information

List Entry Status Listed List Entry Type Historic Place Category 2 Public Access Private/No Public Access
List Number 7116 Date Entered 17th December 1993

Locationopen/close

Extent of List Entry

Extent includes the land described as Lot 1 DP 20626 (CT CB810/23), Canterbury Land District and the building known as Bluestone House thereon.

City/District Council

Timaru District

Region

Canterbury Region

Legal description

Lot 1 DP 20626 (CT CB810/23), Canterbury Land District

Summaryopen/close

This historic place was registered under the Historic Places Act 1980. This report includes the text from the original Proposal for Classification report considered by the NZHPT Board at the time of registration.

The site at 40 Maltby Avenue was purchased by Alfred Vincent in 1909. Vincent was a quarryman and stonemason and presumably built the house before selling it in 1914. It is a well proportioned and representative example of an Edwardian bay villa constructed of locally quarried bluestone, Edwardian bay villas are more commonly constructed of timber. The interior of this particular example retains the original decorative cornices and centrepieces from which lights are suspended.

Linksopen/close

Additional informationopen/close

Construction Dates

Original Construction
1909 -

Other Information

A copy of the original report is available from the NZHPT Southern region office

Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.